Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I'm in the same boat as yall. I'm at chickamauga right now for my championship and had same symptoms-motor idling rough, sounding different, harder to start. I was running down the lake and lost power down to an idle then I heard a pop and rattling sound. Happened yesterday so I haven't had a chance to do a compression test,

2. Member
    Just did a compression test on mine. Top cylinder on the starboard side had 0. 4 of the others were 90 and 1 was 80. I did it with the motor cold because I can't run it at home right now. I know you're supposed to do it with it warm, but 0 is 0. That isn't going to change regardless of engine temp. Time to make a decision.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Just did a compression test on mine. Top cylinder on the starboard side had 0. 4 of the others were 90 and 1 was 80. I did it with the motor cold because I can't run it at home right now. I know you're supposed to do it with it warm, but 0 is 0. That isn't going to change regardless of engine temp. Time to make a decision.
    Same here. #1 cylinder had 0 psi, all others had 90-92 (cold). Not sure what if I want to go the repower route or have hydrotec rebuild it.

4. Member
    Taking mine to Hydrotec Friday. They’ll have it a few weeks. Looking forward to getting it fixed!

5. Member
    I know this feeling all to well. I was about 15+ miles up the river on nickajack when mine blew(hpdi 225), talk about sick to your stomach. What’s wierd is most say you noticed a rough idle or something that was different. I had no idea on that day it was going to give out, no warning signs at all. #1 was toast with 0 compression, all others were around 120.

As to the option to rebuild or repower, I chose to repower. It would be in the back of my mind from here on out when it was gonna go until it finallly blows again. It’s not an easy decision by any means, talk about being stressed out.

6. Member
    Was the Hydrotech rebuild just a rebuild or phase 1 , 2 or 3 ?

7. Member
    After reading all these horror stories, I am seriously considering selling my 06 250 HPDI while it is still running good and repower .

Just curious , did any of you notice a slight miss before the motor went down?

8. Member
    Mine surged kinda at wot. Ran lean and had a bad injector. Acted like chuggy for a minute. Got back off plane and started to rattle.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    Mine surged kinda at wot. Ran lean and had a bad injector. Acted like chuggy for a minute. Got back off plane and started to rattle.
    It seems that bad injectors are a common source of failure for these engines. I will make sure to have all mine checked tested and cleaned!
    Last edited by geodebasser; 10-31-2020 at 01:27 PM.

10. Member
    Yeah. Send em to brucato. Great work and fast turn around. Good honest people. They also have the small filters you want to replace.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    After reading all these horror stories, I am seriously considering selling my 06 250 HPDI while it is still running good and repower .

Just curious , did any of you notice a slight miss before the motor went down?
    Mine had a miss at idle, both in gear and in neutral. Also had a rattle sometimes at low RPM, but it wasn't consistent. Once up and running, it ran normal. Mat at Hydrotec said it sounded like a ring locater pin came out, which was a common problem with them. He said most HPDI failures were fuel related, but some were due to the locater pin coming out (mostly a Series 2 problem). Mine is not a Series 2.

Dropped it off Friday. Had a wheel bearing on my trailer disintegrate on the way there, which led to it having to be towed 60 miles (single axle trailer). So now once the motor is rebuilt, I'll have to get the trailer fixed before I can go pick it up.

12. Member
    Dropped mine off at hydro tec today and they immediately started working on tearing it down. As previously mentioned mine was #1 cylinder and locating pin came loose. I literally had the same symptoms as the OP. I dont know why there wasn't a recall on those pistons because it seems to be a common problem. Looking forward to getting it back and having a motor thats better than new.

13. Member
    Also, while at hydro tec they said that when starting the motor for the first time each trip to make sure to pump the fuel bulb. The motors are fuel injected but the boat is not, so its better on the fuel system to pump that bulb to get the gas from the tank to the motor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12