Curado DC Problem

Traded into a Curado DC recently; like the reel. BUT; I have had the line catch under the right side of the thumbar 5-6 times. Once I had to hand line in a 4 pounder. Very frustrating. Have found posts of others having this issue. Anybody here have this problem? Know of fix ??
    thanks
    Last edited by Cruiser; 09-28-2020 at 11:19 AM.

2. Member
    I have 2 Curado DC's and have never had this issue with either one. What type of line are you using? What digital control setting do you have the reel on? Is this happening during the cast or once you start retrieving the bait? Also, do you possibly have too much line on the spool?

3. Member
    Apparently this is a problem; found several threads about it here and other forums. Using 12-14 mono or FC in the correct amount. Happens at start of retreive and once at hook set. The line is so difficult to get out that it's hard to believe it happens.

4. Member
    I use braid on both of my DC's. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. I use the number 2 DC setting (braid) 95% of the time. If there is no wind and I'm trying to bomb a cast I'll go to number 1, but I have found that it will backlash pretty bad sometimes when I have it on 1 and really try to whip a cast out there. Do you have any side-to-side play in the spool? I know that Shimano says to have your spool tension tighter than you would on a normal non-DC reel. I remember when I got the reel I think the instructions said that the spool tension should be tight enough that the lure doesn't drop when the thumb bar is pressed. If yours is looser it might be something to try. Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be the cause or the fix for this. Hope you get it figured out though.

5. Member
    Well,went out for 3 hours and the same think happened twice more. Spool tension adjusted corectly. Very frustrating. Guess I will query Shimano customer service. Found this BBC thread about the issue, the pic shows exactly what is happening:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=979710

6. Member
    I had it happen on my 4th cast with the reel with 12 lb FC

I would contact Shimano if you're still under warranty. That shouldn't happen to a reel that's that expensive. There is a service center in Birmingham.

It's not a mechanical issue. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    It's not a mechanical issue. Dan
    whats going on with them, Dan. This has me skittish to even try one.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

I have several of these and have never had this problem on any of them

11. Member
    I have 2 DC, and 2 201i and 1 71i and have not had this problem
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

12. Member
    This is a line issue...... it happens when you (I) have small slack loops in the line (usually when flipping/pitching) that are catching on the handle side of the reel...... seems to be mostly when using FC line.....

I've had it happen several times with 12# FC, usually near the end of the cast. I primarily use the reel for jerkbaits. There's no sensation of a backlash, or fluffiness during the cast, when it happens. It's more of a sudden lockup. It's almost impossible to get the line out from behind it, and you have to cut it out then respool with new line, because you lost so much line. You probably don't even want to try to pull the line out from behind it, and risking bending that piece in any. I sent mine back to Shimano, and they said they adjusted the clutch bar, but it didn't fix it. The last time I took the reel apart, I sanded off a very small burr, and tried bending the piece out a bit hoping it would have a tighter tolerance, to keep line from wrapping in around behind it.

There's definitely a design flaw with the reel or more likely the thumbar piece and the tolerance between them. It's very frustrating to have to retire the reel for your fishing trip, or sit down to respool new line. It's not what you expect for a $250 reel. Shame on Shimano for acting like this problem doesn't exist, and not fixing it.
    Last edited by mossie3; 10-08-2020 at 07:37 PM.

14. Member
    Mossie3; I agree, it's a design problem. I have been throwing bait casters for over 50 years and have never had a problem like this. Its not a line or technique issue. I have had it happen at least 10 times in the last month; though I have learned how to get line out without cutting. It's so tight; it's hard to understand how it gets behind the thumbar clip so often.
    Will see what Shimano C.S has to say. Too bad; love the way this reel throws a light shakey head so effortlessly.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 10-17-2020 at 07:27 AM.

I will say this has me puzzled,, have six of these , one that i use for jerkbaits with Sunline sniper 12lb and sometimes 10lb, Two that i use for crankbaits and both use 12lb Sunline Sniper , two I use for spinnerbaits / chatterbaits/ buzzbaits with 16/18 Sunline Sniper / Sunline Super FC, and the last one is on my skipping rod and I use 20lb Sunline Sniper on it,,, had these reels for a couple years I guess,, got them right after they hit the market,, Have never had any issues with line hanging up,, Wish I had an answer