Question Braid Knots Mid Cast

So here is the issue I am having, and it only happens with braid for me when casting on a baitcaster. I am chucking a frog and I get a knot in my reel, not a backlash as there is no loosened line, just a knot. It happens normally midcast. Most of the time it pulls out without a problem. I am not sure if this is just me chucking too hard or what? I was doing something similar with a crankbait on mono yesterday and it never happened.

This is happening on 40lb Power Pro V2 Slick. The line has been used about half this season and have even applied KVD line conditioner a couple of times.

Am I using too light of braid for chucking like this? Or do I just need to baby it a little more?

The weird thing is, it isn't an unfamiliarity with bait casting gear or anything, like I said it never happens to me even with casting like 10 or 12lb mono.

Is this common with braid?

2. Member
    Not very common with all braid, but I’ve had more issues with PP Super slick than any other type out there. Super slick is softer and doesn’t spoil up as tightly as regular braid. If you’re getting a knot mid cast, it sounds like the line is too loose on the spool and getting tangled in itself. Similar to if you spoil up the line with little to no tension and try to make a cast. It’s not a backlash but the lines already loose to begin with And is tangled as it’s reeled in.

Personally, I’d throw out the super slick and put on regular 40lb power pro. That stuff isn’t worth the money and I don’t see any advantage using it on a baitcast reel.

40lb is fine. Most people say you need 50-65lb for frogging or punching but I’ve never had a single issue here in NY and the highest I go on my set ups is 30lb. But in NY we don’t have much to punch or super heavy cover to frog, atleast the lake so fish don’t anyways
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    I am guessing that they are what people commonly refer to as wind knots. It is the result of braid coming off the spool so easily. You will probably need to slow your spool down with your brakes or use a firmer thumb. Some days I have to do the brakes first.

4. Member
    Yeah, it only really happens with frogs for me, likely due to the minimal resistance during the retrieve perhaps? I had been using normal 65lb PP for my frog rod, but hate the loud noise on the guides/reel that it makes. Might have to switch back. Anyone having issues like this on higher pound V2 slick? I just hate the loud noise so much.

5. Member
    no reason not to use 65 with a frog

6. Member
    I agree with that, was curious if anyone has had the same issues with say 65lb V2 slick?

7. Member
    I have the same issue with 50 lb PP Slick. Throwing a 90 Whopperplopper on a Core. All brakes on, cast control tight and using my thumb, I can usually keep it from happening. But it sucks for distance. I wonder if taking it off and rewinding under more tension would help. Or just get rid of the Slick sounds like a plan too.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    This exact things happens to me when I cast a lighter chatterbait wiht 30 lb pp that is older and limp. It's not a wind knot because the snag happens down on the spool whereas, to me, a wind knot is the line spilling off in tangles off a spinning reel.

I can almost feel it about to happen and it happens when I am sort of snapping the cast sidearm too hard and I can feel a small bit of slack form right as I am releasing it. I don't know how that causes that kink on the spool but I avoid it by just casting a little more smoothly- until I forget and snap it too hard.

Only happens to me with something less dense like a chatterbait with a trailer, not a regular jig.

9. Member
    Pretty sure Slick is more for spinning rods, that's what I use on my spinning rods. My only complaint about it is that it is prone to get wind knots. Other than that I love it.