Trimming up in gear

I have a 2018 verado serial number 2b478442.
    I believe the problem is in the shifter. When the motor is running and I shift from neutral to forward or reverse the motor will automatically start trimming up. Usually after a few seconds it will quit and be fine. And if i let it it will trim the motor all the way out of the water. I can usually hit the trim down button and get the motor to go right back down but sometimes it takes me a few tries to get it to stay trimmed down.Today as I was idling in gear the motor tried to trim up several times over a few minutes. Ive never had the problem hapen under a load or while I'm running on pad.

Thanks for the help Joseph

2. Member
    Is your motor under warranty, I would take to dealer have fixed. Maybe record a video of it to take to them, as we all know it won’t do it when the dealer is trying to fix it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This does sound like a problem in the control or a switch, and needs to be addressed immediately.

The reason it does not happen when underway is that there are maximum trim LIMITS which prevent trimming beyond a certain point while above (approximately) 2000 RPM's.

Get this in to an Authorized Mercury Dealer for diagnosis and repair (likely covered under the engine warranty if a defective component).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor