Thread: New pro xs

Joe Glazebrook

New pro xs

Hey guys, I need some advise. Just repowered my 04 2200 with a new Mercury 300 ProXS four stroke and a new atlas 14” jack plate. Tried to run my 27p hydromotive quad4 and blows out around 65mph while trimming up. Flattened the trim To almost level still blows out. Tried different settings on the Jack plate including buried. What would cause the blowout? Can you run these vented props on the four strokes? Has 8 1/2” holes. Just checking if Anyone has my setup and what prop would be recommended. Thanks, Joe

I'm not a wagering man, but I'd bet plugging some holes would answer your question fast..
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Glazebrook View Post
    Hey guys, I need some advise. Just repowered my 04 2200 with a new Mercury 300 ProXS four stroke and a new atlas 14” jack plate. Tried to run my 27p hydromotive quad4 and blows out around 65mph while trimming up. Flattened the trim To almost level still blows out. Tried different settings on the Jack plate including buried. What would cause the blowout? Can you run these vented props on the four strokes? Has 8 1/2” holes. Just checking if Anyone has my setup and what prop would be recommended. Thanks, Joe
    The PVS holes have nothing to do with your prop at 65 mph. Just making sure it’s a Pro XS and not a R.? What’s your PTP measurement? Also you didn’t mention if your prop is an OB or OT?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Joe Glazebrook
    It’s an OB and I was running up to 7” below the pad with the jack plate buried. Tried different heights with same results.

5. Member
    You might want to think about a blow out ring. . . something to reduce the amount of exhaust flowing over the hub. Is there a BIG gap between barrel of the prop and the gearcase, something like more than 1/8th of an inch? Some barrel diameters are not designed to be run with certain gearcase diameters. My guess Mercury changed some things that affect that prop to barrel relationship. The boat acts fine at slow speed, might even come out of the hole okay, but then when you try and put the power to her, she blows out cause the prop is (for whatever reason) still ventilating, apparently even when buried. Sounds like too much exhaust over the hub/barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Glazebrook View Post
    It’s an OB and I was running up to 7” below the pad with the jack plate buried. Tried different heights with same results.
    The OB is a total through hub design...no room/need for cav ring....7” is way to low. You need to get up with lowslungcruser on here. I believe he’s running close to your set up. I would think you could run that mota at 2-3” below at speed. Try another prop just to see if you’re having an issue with that specific prop.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Check the Gambler Facebook site also. There are quite a few guys running the new four strokes on their Gamblers and Sterlings.

Joe, gonna send you a PM with my phone number...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    The OB is a total through hub design...no room/need for cav ring...
    Ah! Thanks for the correction. I'm not familiar with those props.

10. Member
    Wow 7" my boat would be chine walking like a mother before I even hit 40.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"