vessel view communication error

is there anything on the motor that would keep it from sending the info to the vv box mine worked on my hds12 for one day now it wont show up in my network list i know my NMEA 2000 is working because my xi5 and point 1 are still there in the list and working but i just get communication error for the vv 2021 pro xs 300 2b785625
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 09-27-2020 at 06:40 PM.

2. Banned
    Ignition on?

Yes

4. Banned
    Recheck all the connections. Only time I've seen that is when the key is off. The Communications error will flash and the device will not be on the list.

i did looks like the box only made it one day i should get a new one to replace it on the 10th

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another item we see sometimes is a pin pulled out of a connector, or even a blown fuse at the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Another item we see sometimes is a pin pulled out of a connector, or even a blown fuse at the engine.
    thanks don i did look at the block that has the seven fuses they all are good

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What's the wiring configuration on this one? J-box under console, blue cable and junction adapter, or ????

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

There is a four port box under console the big plug goes from vv box to it and a the other port on the vv box goes to my back bone it looks like maybe the motor is going to this four port box and both gauges and the vv box
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 09-29-2020 at 04:47 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would unplug all four plugs from the Junction Box, and double-check to make sure that the pins are all fully locked in place (no pins pushed out... especially on the Red, Purple, Black, Blue, and White wires).

If you have Smartcraft Gauges and THEY function, focus on the plug for the VV Link. Otherwise- check ALL.

yes both sc1000 gauges work the only thing i noticed is the speed is like 30 mph slower on the gauge than gps speed. i unplugged all 4 at the junction box and all pins in all four plugs are all good
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 09-30-2020 at 11:45 AM.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Move VVL to one of the ports that the SC1000 instruments were on. LEAVE SC1000 gauges UNPLUGGED temporarily, and see if communication is restored.

If not, check NMEA-2000 network power node, and try removing non-critical drops from the network (one at a time) to see if communication is then restored (power down and key down for each connection, give at least 1 minute powered up for each try).

The speed display is a separate situation- likely your SC1000 instruments are defaulting to "Pitot" speed.

put the new box on all is back working hopefully this one will last more than one day lol

14. Member
    I had a quick fix for mine after surfing the web for solutions. Took the cowling off, it was unplugged. Unfortunately, I have another 100hrs on the motor. Guess it was loose for awhile. I’m a little slow obviously.