Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Bow graph interference

I have a BassCat Puma with a Lowrance Gen 3 - 9 inch on the bow along with a 112 Fortrex. A couple of months ago, when I closed my garage door, it hit the skeg on the MinnKota and knocked it out of alignment. From the advice I go on here, I loosened the bolts on the front and re aligned the skeg. Now my front graph has much more interference than previous. Does anyone have any suggestions to minimize my new interference?

Check the fuse in the head
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    Check the fuse in the head first,if not that then remove one of the long bolts under the prop and check for water in the motor..

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Check the fuse in the head first,if not that then remove one of the long bolts under the prop and check for water in the motor..
    The fuse was blown, thanks for the tip. What does this fuse do anyway?
    I may still have water in the motor, but I will see if the fuse fixes it.
    All this because I left the TM turned the wrong way when stowed, and didn't pay enough attention when I backed in it and closed the garage door on it and caused the skeg section to move. UUGGHHH!

Would that still work for an Ultrex???
    I've noticed that the last 2 times i have been out that my front graph gets feedback streaks everytime i use the trolling motor

When on the trolling motor just cut the sonar off at the console but dont power off.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

Welp... i also had a blown fuse, it was a 3amp.. is it ok to replace it with a 5amp?

No! May cause other issues
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Welp... i also had a blown fuse, it was a 3amp.. is it ok to replace it with a 5amp?
    The 3 amp are hard to find (for me anyway). I had to visit 3 auto parts stores to find a package of "low amp" fuses.
    It was a package that had several up to 10 amp.
    Auto Zone had them for me.

What does this fuse do?

Ok.. welp i guess I'll take the package of 5amps back and just buy the assortment fuses that had 1 3amp in it.
    To answer the above post.. im not sure what that fuse does but if it's blown.. it needs changed

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    The fuse was blown, thanks for the tip. What does this fuse do anyway?
    I may still have water in the motor, but I will see if the fuse fixes it.
    All this because I left the TM turned the wrong way when stowed, and didn't pay enough attention when I backed in it and closed the garage door on it and caused the skeg section to move. UUGGHHH!
    It is a fused ground wire that grounds the motor housing to the battery powering the unit. On trolling motors without the internal wire I have run a ground wire from the trolling motor skeg to the battery.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    It is a fused ground wire that grounds the motor housing to the battery powering the unit. On trolling motors without the internal wire I have run a ground wire from the trolling motor skeg to the battery.
    Thanks. That explains why it helps minimize interference.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    You can put a 5 AMP fuse in it and correct most of your interference problems and it will not hurt a thing.

I would not bet on that, may very well void a warranty repair if needed
    Be sure you disconnect the power to the trolling motor when recharging, would be best to have switchable breaker installed and turn it off before charging, I have not blown this fuse since installing this type of breaker
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    When I replaced the 3 amp fuse, it corrected 99% of my interference problem.
    My BassCat has an in line breaker for the TM. It has never "flipped" and I have never unplugged the TM prior to charging in my 25+ years of fishing and charging batteries.

Why was it blown? Chargers bridging ground circuits may very well be the most common cause of that fuse blowing. Very easy to prevents this problem, Minkota recommends this in all cases, they documented this issue as as some circuit board failures do to not removing power to the motor while charging, the on off switch does no accomplish this
    I don't care you do as will be you problem not mine, Just proven advice for anyone that does care. Solved mine, have not blown that fuse since installing the switch/breaker
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Dogfish_Jones
    Most times it blows from my experience is you are getting a feedback or a surge somewhere in the ground wire going to or from your battery.

18. Member
    Maxxum 80 same issue (882 Humminbird)

Totally independent power line Transducer removed from motor (no contact with trolling motor) interference when on foot button pushed. No water in motor.
    No fuse I can find, Light works so not that. Also put unit on separate battery no transducer, interference when om button pushed.
    Put motor on continuous and ran it up and down speeds at 90% it goes away Help

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    Maxxum 80 same issue (882 Humminbird)

Totally independent power line Transducer removed from motor (no contact with trolling motor) interference when on foot button pushed. No water in motor.
    No fuse I can find, Light works so not that. Also put unit on separate battery no transducer, interference when om button pushed.
    Put motor on continuous and ran it up and down speeds at 90% it goes away Help
    For what it's worth, my Fortrex has he fuse inside a holder with the wires stuffed down into the head. Kinda had to look for it.

20. Member
    thanks I will look again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast