OX66 shut off when running

We were making our run back to weigh in today and my 0X66 just shut off while we were running. Started back immediately and ran another mile and shut off again. This time it did not want to restart. Would crank but not even try to fire. Must’ve hit the key 40 times until it hit and started. Ran back to weigh in and idled to the ramp fine. Not sure how to even troubleshoot when it’s started again. Maybe a bad fuel pump relay?

2. Member
    Check the plugs and see if they are dry or wet
    Fuel pressure on vst tank
    when was the vst filter, water separating filter replaced?

3. Member
    sounds like one of the low pressure pumps is bad thats exactly what mine did replaced them and fixed it

4. Member
    Doesn’t have any pumps. I did the Electric fuel pump upgrade years ago.

Plugs liked the same as always. Because it ran normal after it finally restarted.

The fuel pressure is 36psi with key on.

Havent changed vst filter in a few years. Would filter make it shut off like I turned off the key and no other performance or hesitation issues?

5. Member
    Feasible. Mine would shut off at higher rpms cuz pumps weren't feeding vst tank fast enough..

I'd check your vst tank and fuel pump relay, it's probably starving for fuel.

6. Member
    Fuel pump relay or fuel pump resistor. Had the exact same issue on mine. When it happens, pull off the cowling, turn on the key but do not start. I bet you won't hear the fuel pump prime. Sometimes mine would start up again, other times after a couple minutes. One time it took 2 hrs.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

My bet is on the relay... I have seen this many times. Including my own motor.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    Replaced the relay. Pretty sure it is ok now. Ran it last night with no Shutdown issues.
    my old relay had 13.1v in and only 12.3 out.
    New relay has 13.1v in and 13.1v out.

Will find out for sure this weekend when I make a 50+ mile run.

Most relays get stuck and fail until they are tapped and turn on.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Replaced the relay. Pretty sure it is ok now. Ran it last night with no Shutdown issues.
    my old relay had 13.1v in and only 12.3 out.
    New relay has 13.1v in and 13.1v out.

Will find out for sure this weekend when I make a 50+ mile run.
    Your voltage reading tell the tale. The contacts were bad and that resulted in a almost 1 volt drop. Was this loaded running the pump? Or was the pump disconnected? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    This was unloaded voltage drop. The relay seems to have fixed the shut off issue. 310 miles of hard running this last weekend and never shut off.

12. Member
    Do you have a part number? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to carry a spare

Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    Do you have a part number? Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to carry a spare

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=32912

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I carry a spare. When I did my change over I had the same problem almost from day 1. Worse on a damp morning. I replaced the relay, used liquid electrical tape and coated it (2 coats) and have had no issues since in 3 years. But, I do keep a spare with me.. I run an aftermarket relay from auto parts.. $10

15. Member
    Do you have a part name/number for the relay from auto parts store?
    Thanks