What’s the correct way to add power trim fluid on Verado 300 Pro

Serial # 2B376111 2017
    When trimming my motor up and down, I was getting a lot of creaking noise like the cylinder rams needed lube. I found out that I was a little low on fluid so I added some per instructions in the manual. When I trimmed the motor all the way down the fluid reservoir cap popped off. I cleaned up the mess and the creaking noise went away for a year but now it’s back. Should I add the correct amount of fluid to bring it back to the line on the tank, then trim it all the way down before I put the cap back on? I’m thinking if I do this and there is to much in there then it will just push the excess out and not blow the cap off again. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Page-89 in the Owner's Manual describes the procedure. Engine must be full-up with the tilt support ON TOP of the pedestal.

Turn cap 1/4 to remove (counter-clockwise).

Correct fluid level is APPROXIMATELY 1" BELOW the cap/port. Use a colored tie-wrap (bent over) as a dipstick, or a strip of white business-card material (bent over) to measure where the fluid is at in relationship to the top of the fill neck.

To reinstall the cap, turn 1/4 turn CLOCKWISE.

Important Note: Overfilling (fluid higher than the recommended 1" below neck) may result in the cap being blown-off and fluid exiting. Same may occur if the tilt support is set at the lower "step" rather than ON TOP of the pedestal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor