Pros and Cons Sabre and P2

I am considering those boats. Everything I see says the P2 does everything the Sabre does but a little bigger and better.

In my opinion the 2 best overall values now are the Sabre and Pantera SP. I keep going back and forth between the 2. From a cost standpoint I originally was considering the Margay with 150. I don’t think I will like the huge center rod box.

What is your list Of Pros and Cons??

2. Member
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my PII. It is a 2018 with a 200 p Pro XS 2 stroke. It flies from 0 to 60mph. There aren't too many boats faster to 60mph even the comes powered with a 250hp. It tops out in the low 70's depending on load. It is light and easy to maneuver into the garage. The tandem axle trailer becomes a single axle when you crank the front jack all the way up. I then push it by hand into position on an angle in my short two-car garage.

The front decks on both are a touch narrower than other companies but I still am comfortable with three rods on each side plus the one I'm fishing with in my hand. The length of the PII deck is not a problem I routinely have my partner on the front flipping with me.

I see another P2 in my future way down the road. It may have a dual console or it may not. I currently have a single console but am considering a second one for my wife.

For the average fisherman that fishes some small tournaments or is in a small club I feel it is perfect. It is also perfect for the weekend angler. If I was super serious I would consider a slightly larger boat. The great thing is if we are only making a short to medium run on take off for my 22 boat bass club, no one beats me to the hot spots. On longer runs like 5 miles or more the 250hp's may run me down.

Customer service and build quality are also second to none in the bass boat business. Between Power Pole and BassCat there is no better customer service in my opinion. If you are ever in the central Florida area I would be more then happy to take you for a spin in my PII.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 09-27-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Brad Krone

I have had both. The Sabre is literally a smaller version of the PII. If you fish alone, you will NOT notice the difference from the front deck. The Sabre's helm is a bit smaller and anyone over 6' tall will notice the difference. If you use a hotfoot, you will really notice it. It is workable but is a noticeable difference. If you fish with a partner, you will notice a bit more impact at top speed with the Sabre.

The PII has a little bit bigger storage and it is significantly deeper IMO. Whether you can use the deeper space is up to you. The PII offers a 10gal kicker tank that the Sabre does not. You may or may not need it but mine did and I used it as my "reserve" tank to get me home if the main one ran out. It was nice not having to worry about ever getting back to the ramp in tournaments....and yes, I ran that far a lot.

If you can afford the PII, you should get it. It is a better boat just due to bigger helm, more storage, less weight sensitive and better top speed. If you cannot, the Sabre will serve you VERY well and you will still pass bigger boats on blast off.

Both boats had dual axle trailers and would recommend that as well.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    BasscatBrad PM Sent

5. Member
    The P2 is a very good tournament boat. And if given a choice between the two I go with that one. It’s a great tournament boat and can fish 2 people no problem. The only thing on the p2 is the gas tank is under the seat so you do sit higher and if you are a long legged person it could get cramped under the console. But overall a great boat. I’d also consider the classic that is a unique boat as well and fishes very well.

I had a 2011 P2 with 200. Literally a sports car on the water. Nothing wrong with the sabre but if you can afford the difference go P2 IMO.

7. Member
    When I had the choice between the Margay and the Sabre I went with the Margay with the 150 for the front deck and really liked it. When I upgraded this year I chose the Pantera Classic over the P2 and again for more space on the front deck. Since the P Classic is pretty much a larger Margay and the PII is closer to a larger Sabre after owning the two boats I'd think the PII would make you happier and the SP is a killer deal.

8. Member
    I love my Sabre/175, but if you are not limited by space & a few thousand more the p2/200 is the perfect boat.

9. Member
    I've had both, 2004 Sabre and an 07 P2. Like someone said a P2 is basically just a bigger Sabre. They handle the same, super quick holeshot. P2 just has a little more storage, is a little better when it gets rough and will give you another 7-8 MPH top end. I will say this, driving each one WFO is fun but they will both get squirelly. Sabre gets that way around 62 and the P2 around 67-68. If you like running around 62-65 than a P2 is an easy ride. I don't think you'd be disappointed either way but never once in my P2 did I wish I had anything bigger...did a couple of times with the Sabre.

Quote Originally Posted by sabreski View Post
    I love my Sabre/175, but if you are not limited by space & a few thousand more the p2/200 is the perfect boat.
    X2
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    I have have owned both. 2011 Sabre FTD/Merc 175 Proxs. Now a 2016 PII Merc 200.

-Fishing the front deck they are nearly identical.
    -With identical TM's the Sabre responds to TM input a bit better.
    -The longer PII is slightly less sensitive to wave action while on the front deck.
    -The PII is less sensitive to weight and how the boat is loaded.
    -The Sabre is easier to drive on the upper end of the RPM spectrum, but is upset easier by small wakes.
    -The Sabre sips fuel, even compared to the PII 200.
    -The PII regardless of being only a foot longer is effected less by wind (being blown around).
    -Both have an excellent hole shot, even with live wells full.
    -The PII is quicker to 60 mph, but the Sabre is no slouch either.
    -The Sabre's bow will sink quite a bit with two guys on the front deck, especially if you are both fishing near the nose. The PII does not do this or isn't that noticeable.
    -When it comes to handling (180 degree turns, running bayous...etc.) the Sabre leads the PII. It handles like its on rails.
    -The PII handles the bigger chop and wakes better.
    -I wish both models had a larger access door to the bilge area.

Both are excellent rigs. I have used them both on all the same lakes. Same Bass tournament clubs.
    I removed the rod tubes from both boats. I use rod socks and have 15-18 rods.

Hope that helps in your decision.
    Cant go wrong with either rig.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs