Battery Selector Switch For 24 volt plus crank

Looking for a battery selector switch for the boat. Going to run two 12 volt batteries for the trolling and one 12 for the crank.

Hard wiring my trolling motor.

cannot find good info on how to wire or the best switch.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What is it you want to accomplish with the switch? Because of the series connection of the TM batteries and the grounds being isolated, it’s fairly complex to select from a cranking battery or TM batteries without causing problems.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Theres a few different ways to do it. First, get marine grade tinned wire for the trolling motor, I think I used 4 or 6 gauge that came in a romex type cover. I would get a battery tender trolling motor plug personally. You can put 2 switches, one for the crank and one for the trolling motor or I have used a blue seas switch that handles two circuits separately. That's what is on my pontoon. You should be able to search a bunch of threads on here and get more info than you really need

4. Member
    Looking for a switch to turn everything off or just the TM on charging. Have a battery charger. Heard not to use tinned.. I have 6 AWG on a 20 foot boat running a ghost in 24v

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Looking for a switch to turn everything off or just the TM on charging. Have a battery charger. Heard not to use tinned.. I have 6 AWG on a 20 foot boat running a ghost in 24v
    Just use a Ranger style breaker for the TM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Simplest is to run a 60A breaker with the cutoff switch, then run a battery cutoff for the cranking side. The battery cutoff is heavier duty since it will be carrying the outboard.
    John