HYDRAULIC STEERING FEEDBACK?? OFF TOPIC BUT WHAT THE HELL

So I fished a tournament yesterday and for the first time in my ownership of this boat 6 years I was getting feedback from the steering almost like the old cars before power steering ,It only happened when I was turning to the left ( witch is against the prob rotation ) Its a seastar steering system. I don't see anything leaking any advice or avenue to go down would be greatly appreciated Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pull the cap off of the helm station and check fluid level. May need to top it off and bleed.

If your fluid is low and you need to add fluid and purge the air this link might help you...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....846&highlight=

4. Member
    Good stuff Guys thanks for your help. Well I checked the helm and it is low on fluid, I'm wondering where its leaking from are the seals the typical problem? Just asking because it would seem like now would be the time to replace if needed

5. Member
    I find they usually leak from the steering ram ends at the OB, especially if stored hard over. Being over the water or OB bracket, you'll likely never see any evidence of weeping. I once diagnosed which end was suspect by wrapping the connectors to cables, and ram ends, with paper towels affixed with a little duct tape, on a week I knew there would be no rain.

In many years of boating with multiple boats between my 3 bros and I (ran 11 boats one season!) we've only replaced the seals once, and have never had to fix a helm. I now just check the fluid level every other outing or so and adjust. Be AWARE that filling "too full" in HOT Summer weather can force a leak as the fluids expands. I never add fluid if temps are > 85 or so. Works for me!

Oh, and the drill to check for 'proper' fill is to turn the wheel slowly to one side, remove cap carefully, watch the level as you continue to turn the wheel the same way. If it drops, it needs fluid but do NOT fill up past the bottom of the threads on the fill port (horizontal helm, see Teleflex/SeaStar FAQs for other helm orientations).