2007 Evinrude etec heat alarm

Needing some advise. Getting a heat alarm at 135-140 degrees on my 07 225ho and it goes into limp mode. Throttle down and alarm goes off and it allows me to get back on plane. I can avoid the heat alarm if i watch speed and rpms, but thats a pain. Water pump has been replaced. Water pressure hits about 15lbs when up in rpms. Pick up screens have been replaced to the larger vents. no change. We have ordered a pop off valve to replace but that was about 8 weeks ago and not sure when it will ship. Should i look at thermostats or sensors? We have had it hooked up at the dealer but it was inconclusive. Did say temp was high on left side of the block i believe. I will say that this all started after replacing the lower unit. When it was replaced, the brass tube was somewhat distorted so the mechanic reformed it as best he could. Is it possible that this would allow the tube to not seal properly and cause the overheating?

2. Member
    ' When it was replaced, the brass tube was somewhat distorted so the mechanic reformed it as best he could. Is it possible that this would allow the tube to not seal properly and cause the overheating?'

Sounds like you should get mechanic to fix his work by replacing the tube. Is he an E-TEC mechanic?

Yeah, that shop screwed you by damaging the water tube. If it's not right it won't seal correctly.
    Musical instrument repair shops have the tools to fix that copper tube.
    Also check and make sure the used the correct pick up on the water pump. A shop did the same to me one time. They though it was the larger 5/8 tube and used the wrong pump kit. Everything is the same except for the pick up where the tube goes into the WP housing. The 1/2'' is black in color and the 5/8 is clear white in color.

Oh, btw, I figured all this out on my own and fixed it. After 3 trips to that shop and them redoing the WP each time I was done with them and took it upon myself to fix.
    My 4th trip to the shop was to show him his mistake and get the parts from him that I used out of my own new WP kit to fix. I'll never give him my money again and he is a platinum dealer. I called Evinrude about the situation and all they do is report it to the local Evinrude reps. The problem Evinrude had was a lack of dealers/shops (because of stupid decisions by ownershiip when they bought Johnson Evinrude) so the local reps couldn't afford to fire dealers or force them to get more training. I'm actually surprised Evinrude lasted as long as they did with as few strong service dealers as they had. I love my 2008 Etec but Bombardier made some really bad decisions early on which ended up killing the brand.
    Last edited by tdt91; 09-27-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Needing some advise. Getting a heat alarm at 135-140 degrees on my 07 225ho and it goes into limp mode. Throttle down and alarm goes off and it allows me to get back on plane. I can avoid the heat alarm if i watch speed and rpms, but thats a pain. Water pump has been replaced. Water pressure hits about 15lbs when up in rpms. Pick up screens have been replaced to the larger vents. no change. We have ordered a pop off valve to replace but that was about 8 weeks ago and not sure when it will ship. Should i look at thermostats or sensors? We have had it hooked up at the dealer but it was inconclusive. Did say temp was high on left side of the block i believe. I will say that this all started after replacing the lower unit. When it was replaced, the brass tube was somewhat distorted so the mechanic reformed it as best he could. Is it possible that this would allow the tube to not seal properly and cause the overheating?
    I went through that problem with my previous E-Tec and it was a result of the water tube being distorted! I was able to reshape it and get it to seat properly and solved the issue.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2