Help me understand this prop test I just did

05 Triton 196 with 200 opti. 94 degrees. 1/4 tank of gas. Myself, livewells 1/2 full, light load of tackle. 2300'

Laser II 3 blade SS prop 23 pitch- on plane in 4 seconds, top speed 60.78 @ 5750 rpm, slight hesitation @ breakover (minimal chinewalk at this speed)

Fury4 blade SS prop 24 pitch b&b by MC-on plane in 6 seconds, top speed 64.89 @ 5450 rpm, no hesitation " (chinewalk just starting but couldn't run it any faster today with chop and boat traffic)

Tempest plus SS prop 25p b&b by MC-on plane in...forever, top speed 64.73 @ 5400 rpm, spinning like in neutral just before breakover (chinewalk starts about 62 and is more prevelant then fury4, but again couldn't run it up there due to chop and boat traffic/swells).

In cool weather low elevation and just me and no load the tempest + is hands down the top speed champ, having pushed this boat to 74+ gps while doing the rodeo thing. I don't need to be a bronc buster anymore so upper 60's is fine, but I'm curious why on takeoff this thing feels like I've shifted into neutral for a bit before it comes on plane?

The Lazer II is just a load prop for summer, 3 guys and all their crap at 3300' elevation (lake Powell) and a spare prop but it too has a little "neutral" rpm spin just before breaking over.

The fury4 I'm gonna guess is going to give up 3-4mph to the tempest + but with heat, 2 guys and rougher water seems to be ok with very little of the raised rpm before getting on plane.

All show 20+ psi of water pressure and the boat certainly does some chine walking, but am I needing to lower or raise the engine to combat the raised rpm at takeoff and if lowering am I not going to introduce more chinewalk and less topend? Boat has a 6" jp with 2" spacers. Not sure of p t p, other then when I propped it a few years ago I kept raising it till wp dropped below 18 at wot and stopped which improved chimewalk significantly. Thanks.

2. Member
    you are apparently getting some prop blowout right at the transition. You can try filling a hole or 2 on the prop, or launch it a bit deeper P2P (hydraulic jack plate)???? then bump up after you get going.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Comparing all different pitch's is apples and oranges. Chine walking is "lift" and lift is "loose" and loose is "fast"

No mention of adjusting PVS holes on tempest. This makes a huge difference.

Test a 23P Tempest plus or Fury 3.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    I don't necessarily have an issue with the chine walking, that is part of this boats personality and is somewhat avoidable with speed and trim.
    The prop blowout is the mystery thing to me, why one does it and the other doesn't, or less of it.

The tempest plus, if I recall correctly had a slight issue with it when getting it back from Croxton and he suggested putting the plugs in that left a smaller hole in the middle which I did. Should I try putting in the plugs that completely cover the hole, or just some holes covered or remove them altogether?

5. Member
    Is the tempest blowing out and revving high rpm's or bogging down not reaching 3500 at take off?

6. Member
    Tempest prop blows out and rpm's go up significantly.

Lazer II has a very slight blow out.

Fury 4 seems to have no noticeable blow out.

Im a little bit confused as to whether to raise the engine or lower it? No rooster tail, water pressure is over 20 unless jamming on it in a sharp turn which drops to 15 and previous settings with a lower engine result in nasty chinewalk barely over 60. Any suggestions on which plugs to use on the tempest + ?

Are you adjusting your jackplate with each propeller or at all? 5400 is too low for that motor. Try raising your motor in 1/4 inch increments until you loose water pressure or speed. The fury 4 should be able to run substantially higher than the laser 2. Raising your motor should gain rpms and speed.

8. Member
    JP is set at what ran the fastest with the tempest plus. The lower rpm was a product of too much boat traffic making it too rough to really test. I'm gonna give it another go in a few weeks when temps cool and the lake calms down.

I appreciate the info on the 4 blade liking to be run higher. I'm thinking with the way the 4 blade gets me better fuel economy and carries a load better and that I no longer need to run over 70, the 4 blade will be the go to prop with the Lazer ll a backup and sell the b & b tempest plus and use that coin to get a hydraulic jp. Had one on another boat and it makes raising the engine a breeze for prop testing and everything else. Thanks!

After checking ptp it may just be too high. Measured right close to 2". I've dropped it 3/8" and will be heading back to Powell next week with cooler temps and a lot less boat traffic to test it out. Might even do a little fishing in between tests.
    Last edited by dbs1; 10-01-2020 at 12:37 PM.

9. Member
    A rough water lake made by boating can cause problems for a motor set 2” ptp and getting a quick hole shot.
    When lake is all churned up I like get the hull moving good before putting the spurs to her.

10. Member
    It was like having the horse bucking in the chute before they opened the gate. Hard to stay in the saddle!

11. Member
    The tempest prop has too much venting and needs some adjusting of the PVS vents to control it. What ever size PVS plugs you have in it now are giving you more venting than you need. That Fury 4 is smaller in diameter than the tempest so it won't run higher for very long with out throwing a blade and take the laser II off and sell it. You may need to get a 24" tempest at 2300' to get to wide open rpm's.

12. Member
    I have the same boat, I run a 25 4 blade fury 5600 rpm 2" below pad 68 mph I live in Az to pm me for cell number I have info. Still to hot to test props