2003 Honda 225 Alarm

I have an alarm that has been sounding only when I trim the motor up or down and doesn't code on the computer. I have been told that it could possible be that the oil pickup tube has a hairline crack in it that causes oil pressure loss momentarily and the alarm then sound but doesn't code. I have been told the only way to find out for sure is to tear it down and see what they find. Sort of like exploratory surgery when a doctor doesn't know what is wrong with you. This could be an expensive process if it isn't what they think it is. Has anyone ever had a hairline crack in their oil pickup tube and if so did you have the same thing as I am describing. I have been told that it's a common thing and that Honda has started welding a gusset on the new tubes to prevent it.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have heard of this on the older engines with the cracked pickup tube. Not sure what the indications where though. I would check and see if there was a service bulletin on it.

3. Member
    These service bulletins that you speak of, are they somewhere that I can check them or do I have to go to the Honda service center. Sometimes they are reluctant in spending time helping without getting paid.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Not sure I have a source for them, But I know it was an issue on the early models 200-225.
    Ill see what I can find out.

5. Member
    Thanks Hickory, I would really appreciate it. I am still hoping that someone has had this problem and could let me know what alarms sounded. Sometimes I don't get any and other times it alarms every time I'm coming up on plane and trimming. Always only a two (2) beep alarm then it stops. They say that's why it's not showing anything on the computer.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    have been waiting on Ray to respond, You should be getting a low oil pressure with the engine trimmed down. Honda computer should show low oil pressure. Does your dealer have a Dr H? To correct it, pull the lower unit and braze the oil tube crack. You shouldn't have to pull the block from the top.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 09-30-2020 at 02:59 PM.

7. Member
    Update on what I have done to try and to get the alarm to stop. The lower unit and extension cover were taken off so that the oil pan could be removed so that the oil pickup tube could be checked for a crack. After a close inspection no crack was detected, however, we decided to go ahead and braze the area where the crack could have been just in case. Put a new oil o-ring on the pick up tube, new oil pan gasket and put it all back together. We had some nice weather yesterday so off to the lake to see if the alarm is off ( I did clear the alarm code before starting the motor. Well all that work and it's still alarming. I bought a Honda service manual from Honda's web site ($136.00 to my door) so that I could try to find out what could be making the alarm sound only when I trim the motor up or down whether I'm running on plane or while idling around. I have been trying to locate a good Honda service center here in central Texas but am willing to do some driving (within Texas) to find one if anyone has a recommendation for a good one. I welcome any help or suggestions on this problem.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    See if you can find a PWC shop, that has a Candoo Pro. Most likely a independent guy working out of his garage. For 199.00 you can add a Honda program to find codes, clear faults, monitor it running and get live telemetry.

Thanks for your advice. I have the same issue.

10. Member
    I am from Pa. and I am currently in a tear down of my 04 225 honda to repair bad upper mounts. Quite an extensive job, my power head is on a hook in my garage now. The only alarm I was getting was from a problem with the o2 sensor with water getting to it from the small exhaust port on back of engine, I was the 3rd owner of my Ranger/Honda rig and when I got it was in its 5th yr of warranty and my dealor got the ok from Honda to do the Service Bulletin #56 repair on it which is stronger exhaust pipes with a relief port built in to each and an upgraded oil pan gasket, for some reason I had to pay for new o2 sensor. That cured alarms for me. I have been talking with Lake Fork Hondaguy by phone brainstorming his problem. As a result of my tear down 1 of my upper mounts was tore up the other one was a tad loose and was starting to fail. I checked my oil tube and it had no cracks what so ever. I asked my certified Honda mechanic if they ever heard of cracks in the oil tube and they said NO. I have about 400 bucks in my repair so far and saving a lot of $$ with sweat equity with the help of a couple buddies who are good with a wrench and work for beer... The only reason to do this job was when traveling to tourneys on the road buddies following my rig down the road telling me my motor looked like a bobblehead so decided that would be a winter project and so far so good....the rest of the story to be determined when motor is back together......
    2004 Ranger 520DVX Honda 225 8" Atas 80 Min-Kota Ultrex Vexilar Flashers Lowrance Raymarine 8' Blades

11. Member
    Well I have finally found a Honda Certified shop that is only 130 miles from me that I will be taking my boat to next week. Talked to them on the phone and they said the Tec had the latest programs from Honda and would be able to tell me what the alarm is if it's showing a code on the computer. I sure hope that it's something minor and I can get it fixed without having to get a bank loan to pay for it.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake Fork Hondaguy View Post
    Well I have finally found a Honda Certified shop that is only 130 miles from me that I will be taking my boat to next week. Talked to them on the phone and they said the Tec had the latest programs from Honda and would be able to tell me what the alarm is if it's showing a code on the computer. I sure hope that it's something minor and I can get it fixed without having to get a bank loan to pay for it.