Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weird Experience

Drove to the "New" Arnolds Bay boat ramp on Lake Champlain last Tues. because I heard it was re-done with new concrete and it was closer to the fishing grounds I wanted to try. Ive never launched a boat there before because of its sketchy reputation, just ice fished from there. I quickly launch my partners boat and parked his truck. I see some no parking signs above me but it looks like they are there to keep the Porta Potti from getting blocked. No signs near me. I have the one and only dedicated parking spot it looks like to me. Driving in I didn't see any official looking parking above the ramp, it would be the side of the road up there. This is a semi remote launch that they dont even have a sign for it on the road. Unless some one tells you about it I dont think you'll find it. Get an 8 hr day in and get back to a gone truck and trailer. Poor cell service unless you walked up a hill we called 911 and while waiting for their return call I thought I would call the local Panton, VT town office and maybe get the Sherriff out here. Lady answers the phone and within a couple words knows about us because the Sherriff had us towed she said. Truck/trailer is impounded 20miles away I find out. Through hook and crook and a lot of phone calls we got a guy from the towing company to drive down to the ramp and get my bud and take him to his hijacked rig. Couple hrs later he pulls into the ramp and off we go. He has paid a fat towing bill and is expecting a healthy ticket mailed to him according to the woman at the town office. Im a bit sketched out over this as I smell a rat. No regard its Covid time and the place is remote and we have a boat to deal with plus I had my dog. WE live over 100 miles away. Good thing the wind was blowing and we came in early when things were still open and we could call around. There were no signs telling you where to park anywhere. How would you guys handle this?

2. #FRB
    Sounds like a money grab to me. I just wouldn't use that ramp anymore. Not sure if taking it to court would do any good but might be worth a try. Also might could alert the local news stations to get an investigation going.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    Without seeing it for myself it sounds like you parked in a tow away zone and you got towed away. If you were in the wrong there is not much you can do other than pay your fines.

It sucks. I guess it could happen to any of us at an unfamiliar place especially if it was dark when launching.

Now if it is obvious you parked in a legal parking spot the only recourse you would normally have is to face your accuser in court with or without a bloodsucking lawyer.

I would go back there tonight with a backhoe and bust up the ramp and parking lot.
    I have been told I have anger issues so maybe ride this thread out a little longer to see if you get better advise.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

5. #FRB
    If you get bored you could park in a spot that you know is legal and sit and wait with camera rolling. If you get towed while in a legal spot you will have the proof you need to string the crooked sheriff up by their toenails.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    I would go back there tonight with a backhoe and bust up the ramp and parking lot.
    I have been told I have anger issues so maybe ride this thread out a little longer to see if you get better advise.
    You suggestion feels right but the logistics suck.

7. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    were you the only vehicle there?

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

" I see some no parking signs above me " ?
    That sucks. I was in that situation last weekend. We just kept driving around until we found a lake we could launch and park.
    Every place we went had permit parking only or a 3 hp limit.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Highcentered;11398585]If you get bored you could park in a spot that you know is legal and sit and wait with camera rolling. If you get towed while in a legal spot you will have the proof you need to string the crooked sheriff up by their toenails.[/QUOTE
    Yea, I guess that would be rock solid.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    Yes, only vehicle. Cold, windy day.

11. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    If you parked the truck why is the friend paying towing and fine?
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    I was.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    If you parked the truck why is the friend paying towing and fine?
    Im cutting and mailing a check for half, tried giving him cash but wouldn't take it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    " I see some no parking signs above me " ?
    That sucks. I was in that situation last weekend. We just kept driving around until we found a lake we could launch and park.
    Every place we went had permit parking only or a 3 hp limit.
    There wasn't anything that told you what to do with your rig after you launched, my spot sure looked fine and didn't hinder anything. Still dont know still where they expect you to park?

15. Member
    This is 2020 burn and loot it’s the only answer!

16. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    There wasn't anything that told you what to do with your rig after you launched, my spot sure looked fine and didn't hinder anything. Still dont know still where they expect you to park?
    evidently not there....

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Without seeing it for myself it sounds like you parked in a tow away zone and you got towed away. If you were in the wrong there is not much you can do other than pay your fines.

It sucks. I guess it could happen to any of us at an unfamiliar place especially if it was dark when launching.

Now if it is obvious you parked in a legal parking spot the only recourse you would normally have is to face your accuser in court with or without a bloodsucking lawyer.
    Transom, problem with this ramp is that nothing is obvious. Other choice was up at the water treatment plant up the road but that wasn't really parking it was just a wider section of road. I saw that and thought that might be more trouble. Dunno?

18. Member
    [QUOTE=bdog7198;11398638]If you parked the truck why is the friend paying towing and fine?[/QUOTE}
    Tried giving cash but wouldn't take it. Im sending him 1/2 which I thinks seems fair?? Am I being cheap?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Sounds like a money grab to me. I just wouldn't use that ramp anymore. Not sure if taking it to court would do any good but might be worth a try. Also might could alert the local news stations to get an investigation going.
    My thoughts, place is set up to confuse.

I could see a ticket but unless you were a danger to traffic then tow is greed .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast