1989 110hp seems slow

Thanks for reading. I have a 1989 stratos 269v glass boat with a 89 johnson 110hp on it. Top speed I get out of it is 33 mph. Does that seem correct? It has a 15 pitch 4 blade prop and does around 5500 rpm. The boat came with a 19 pitch prop but I had problems with planning out. With the 19 pitch i would get 36 mph but was only getting around 4700 rpm if I remember correctly I was out last night with my 5 year old son and the boat was cavitating. When I purchased the boat this summer the old owner had the motor tilt stop (I have no clue what it is called) up 2 notches I moved it down 1 notch and it got a bit better and totally removed it and a bit better but still happens could the motor be at the wrong height on the transom?

Thanks for reading!

Andy

2. Member
    with a 15 inch pitch prop 33mph at 5500 rpm sounds close to right for a 4 blade prop. maybe 3-4 mph slow of what i would expect is your potential max. is that gps?

you might go faster by raising the motor and reducing hull slip, but i am not the guy to tell you how to do that.

you were overrpropped with the 19" pitch. if you get to 5500 easily with a 15" you might find a 17" pitch works for you and drives the boat faster but personally on an older motor like that i'd rather be slightly underpropped and work the motor less hard and jump on plane.

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgolpmp View Post
    Thanks for reading. I have a 1989 stratos 269v glass boat with a 89 johnson 110hp on it. Top speed I get out of it is 33 mph. Does that seem correct? It has a 15 pitch 4 blade prop and does around 5500 rpm. The boat came with a 19 pitch prop but I had problems with planning out. With the 19 pitch i would get 36 mph but was only getting around 4700 rpm if I remember correctly I was out last night with my 5 year old son and the boat was cavitating. When I purchased the boat this summer the old owner had the motor tilt stop (I have no clue what it is called) up 2 notches I moved it down 1 notch and it got a bit better and totally removed it and a bit better but still happens could the motor be at the wrong height on the transom?

Thanks for reading!

Andy
    Check the basics,,compression check,,link and sync and insure linkage is working properly(timing advance-carbs 100% open. Check prop to pad distance. A good OMC (not Clymer or Seloc) manual will guide you. That thing should be on the limiter with a 15 pitch prop and small boat. Should run mid 40's at 5500 rpms or so and easily swing a 19 pitch prop. Are you familiar on how to properly trim a motor from the hole thru WOT? Is there a jackplate on the motor/boat?
    Last edited by omcforever; 09-26-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Also you didn't mention you thought the rear was too heavy(Stratos forum). Check for water saturated hull and too much weight in the rear. Like I said above,, check basics before throwing props at it.

5. Member

Thanks for reading!

Andy
    Check compression, is it getting full throttle? 1989 may be getting tired! LOL
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    Motor getting tired? I think it isn't broken in yet lol. The 33 mph is gps and also when I go full throttle the motor trims down all the way. Is that normal? I honestly can't I have ever tried to trim it up when I was going wide open but I will try it out

I will sweet talk the wife maybe I can go again tonight

Thanks for the replies

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Check compression, is it getting full throttle? 1989 may be getting tired! LOL
    Think that was already asked/suggested...post # 3 and #4

8. Member
    Also as far as a saturated hill how do I check that? The back has 3 batteries and the fuel tank. I also sit pretty far back. No weight in the front of the boat.

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Motor getting tired? I think it isn't broken in yet lol. The 33 mph is gps and also when I go full throttle the motor trims down all the way. Is that normal? I honestly can't I have ever tried to trim it up when I was going wide open but I will try it out I will sweet talk the wife maybe I can go again tonightThanks for the replies
    Got it backwards,,needs to trim up while you are gaining speed...if not, it will dig into the water and be slow,,,find the boats sweet spot. good speed,, good rpms and good water pressure and no prop blowout.

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Also as far as a saturated hill how do I check that? The back has 3 batteries and the fuel tank. I also sit pretty far back. No weight in the front of the boat.
    Remove batteries and possibly fuel tank and drill some small hole(not thru the hull) just into the flotation foam and if the bits are wet or get weepage,,,wet hull and foam.

11. Member
    Ok thanks for the info i will give it a try. What do I do if it is wet?

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ok thanks for the info i will give it a try. What do I do if it is wet?

Pull the top cap and remove the wet foam.