Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Code 211/stiff power steering on G2 250 H.O.

Finally got the boat back this week, the shop ended up having to replace the stern and swivel bracket, DPS motor and DPS module. Good thing I was still under warranty, it was $8k total! The shop did have some issues contacting Evinrude since they are apparently operating with a skeleton crew. I go into my 7 years of "BEST" coverage the beginning of next year, so time will tell if they honor that "extended" warranty...

The power steering is as smooth as butter now though.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

2. Member
    stay safe in that crazy town!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    stay safe in that crazy town!!!!

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Finally got the boat back this week, the shop ended up having to replace the stern and swivel bracket, DPS motor and DPS module. Good thing I was still under warranty, it was $8k total! The shop did have some issues contacting Evinrude since they are apparently operating with a skeleton crew. I go into my 7 years of "BEST" coverage the beginning of next year, so time will tell if they honor that "extended" warranty...

The power steering is as smooth as butter now though.
    I’m new to this boat (2019 520L w 250 HO G2) and actually haven’t had a blaster for quite some years. What were your symptoms? Mine feels stiff like no power steering? And at speeds above 35 it feels like it’s slipping or the steering wheel jerks when turning? I was told I have electric steering? Is that such a thing? It’s still under warranty but the dealer is in the process here in central Minnesota of wrapping storage boats for the year and has no time to work on the boat until November-ish? Is there anything I can look for to or do to try to get it working correctly? I don’t want to do something that will void the warranty but I don’t want to have an accident either. Maybe I just have to keep it under 35 mph? :(
    Carpe Diem!!

6. Member
    Suggest starting a new thread to keep this focused.
    be sure to include engine model number.
    there are several issues that will effect your description. First and foremost is air in the system

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfish View Post
    I’m new to this boat (2019 520L w 250 HO G2) and actually haven’t had a blaster for quite some years. What were your symptoms? Mine feels stiff like no power steering? And at speeds above 35 it feels like it’s slipping or the steering wheel jerks when turning? I was told I have electric steering? Is that such a thing? It’s still under warranty but the dealer is in the process here in central Minnesota of wrapping storage boats for the year and has no time to work on the boat until November-ish? Is there anything I can look for to or do to try to get it working correctly? I don’t want to do something that will void the warranty but I don’t want to have an accident either. Maybe I just have to keep it under 35 mph? :(
    Mine got super stiff to steer and showed a code 211 on the I-command guage. I have heard of the steering wheel locking completely up with my code 211 issue, which would be dangerous on the water. I wouldn't attempt to try and fix it yourself.

Like mentioned above, post a new thread with your serial number and model number and the Evinrude gurus should be able to point you in the right direction.

8. Member
    Code 211 relates to no power assistance offer by the DPS motor (DPS motor disconnected) so the engine would still turn with the hydraulics, just be heavier to turn. This would not or could not cause a steering to be locked completely.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Code 211 relates to no power assistance offer by the DPS motor (DPS motor disconnected) so the engine would still turn with the hydraulics, just be heavier to turn. This would not or could not cause a steering to be locked completely.