Thread: Buying ATV's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buying ATV's

Never owned one, but need one now. Specifically thinking about Yamaha. So I will know what to expect going in, is there negotiation room on these or do they pretty much get what they quote? What about negotiating add-on options or at least installation charges?

2. Member
    I work for a name brand power sports dealer. it isnt Yamaha. I was told the mark up was next to nothing ( 200 dollars) OEM accessories at time of sale would be discounted depending on dealer business plan. in the current environment since covid no inventory cant get none so not much incentive for a dealer to negotiate. they can write there owe ticket. same with used - not much available and prices have jumped significantly

3. Banned
    Glad i bought before all this china virus mess.I was able to get a fair price on the 19 Honda and 20 Kawasaki.

To OP....Shop online for the best price,not sure how much they are going to discount with the way they claim business is booming.

4. Banned
    If it's like everything else right now, they probably ain't doing too much negotiating.

As someone that's had both an ATV and a UTV (side by side), I recommend getting a side-by-side. Much more practical. Even if it's just for utility, get something like a Kawasaki Mule. Trust me, I've had both.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    As someone that's had both an ATV and a UTV (side by side), I recommend getting a side-by-side. Much more practical. Even if it's just for utility, get something like a Kawasaki Mule. Trust me, I've had both.
    I do agree somewhat...I like ATV better for riding trails through the woods,crossing sloughs and going through swamp bottoms the lighter the better.

You are not going to find a dealer willing to negotiate much on a Yamaha right now. Dealers are struggling to get inventory right now and not having any trouble selling what they do get for near sticker.

8. Member
    Call around, some dealers have higher mark ups than others. They probably won't negotiate on price but you may be able to get a deal on accessories.

9. Member
    Yamaha has the best cvt belt drive system out of all brands that use the cvt. Can’t go wrong with a Yamaha grizzly.

10. Member
    I have owned a Honda ATV and it was bullet proof. Late owned a Yamaha Big Bear 4WD ATV and it was very tought also. Next I owned a Yamaha Rhino UTV and it was awesome. I used it from the swamps of Alabama to the steep mountains and rocks in Colorado and never had a problem with it.

No personal experience but have friends who owned a Suzuki ATV and a Kawasaki UTV and they were really happy with those brands.

I have not owned a Polaris ATV or UTV but it seems they require more repairs than the brands from Japan.

Each brand has a following so you probably would be good with whatever you choose.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

Come on, this is BBC, real men ride ATC’s!!

12. Member
    Stick with Honda or Yamaha.

For my .02
    Honda for ATV
    Polaris for UTV
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

14. Member
    I have a 2008 Honda rancher never had one issue.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

15. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    If your getting older like me, do get it with power steering, I get bout 150 pounds of pea gravel, in scoop bucket on my Polaris 500 ATV for dog my lots, wish I had power steering.

16. Member
    I have a 1994 Kawasaki 300 Bayou 4wd that I can't kill. Rebuilt the carb 3 times, been out West out several times. Pulled out a 5x5 elk up the mountain, my tandem axle 13 trailer with 3 4 wheelers. Original brakes and clutch, the only thing that failed was where the choke attached to the carb. Plastic end messed up and never could get started without cross threading so I replaced with manual hand instead of cable.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    I have a 1994 Kawasaki 300 Bayou 4wd that I can't kill. Rebuilt the carb 3 times, been out West out several times. Pulled out a 5x5 elk up the mountain, my tandem axle 13 trailer with 3 4 wheelers. Original brakes and clutch, the only thing that failed was where the choke attached to the carb. Plastic end messed up and never could get started without cross threading so I replaced with manual hand instead of cable.
    That 300 Bayou was and still is a good bike...Hope my wife's 20 Brute Force 300 last as long..

18. Member
    I have had both Yamaha and Honda.......Honda is much better!

19. Member
    I’ll be looking for a used one, there’s going to some low hour units available.

I’ve been looking at a Honda Pioneer 1000-5. Dealers are naming their price right now. Best I’ve seen was 300 off MSRP on a 2021 model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast