Thread: Buying ATV's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I have had both Yamaha and Honda.......Honda is much better!
    I am loyal to Honda ATC's and ATV's. imo the best.

2. Member
    My 2008 Polaris 500HO gave up the ghost earlier this week. Going to replace it with a Honda Rancher 4x4 EPS on Tuesday. $7,200 plus tax. No negotiating in my neck of the woods. They don’t need to. Pay it or the next guy will.

To answer your questions, No and No not really.

I stick with Polaris and Can-Am because they make a 1000cc at. Never had any problems out of either.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

5. Member
    Both the grizzlies I bought new came with a $69 winch deal. I don't know about whats out there now in new atv's but I'm kinda getting the bug again. When my allison is paid for I'll get another, but it'll be a used grizzly.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc View Post
    I do agree somewhat...I like ATV better for riding trails through the woods,crossing sloughs and going through swamp bottoms the lighter the better.
    I don't do much riding (don't even own a machine) but I agree with the ATV over UTV for trails unless there's some reason a family member can't ride on their own or something. Just had this conversation with my neighbor who rides all the time. He compares trail riding in an UTV to driving a SUV through the woods.

I'll just toss this out there too: he usually rides Yammies but he picked up a Tracker for one of his kids last year and he's been really impressed with it so far for he price, etc.

7. Member
    I went from an atv to a side. X side, I still prefer the regular atv over a sxs.

If I were to buy a new atv today only 2 would make the list.
    1. Yamaha grizzly 700
    2. Honda rincon 680.

8. Member
    Honda-ATV

9. Member
    I have an 02 Kawasaki Prairie 650 that is about to turn over 65,000 miles. Top That! Gas, oil changes, tires and other maintenance items have been it other than some busted plastics and other items that were 100% my fault. Worked on ATVs for a lot of years and I assure you most are tough as nails. I'm not brand loyal to anyone but I am a bit brand disloyal which is why I would not recommend Polaris. For hard use you won't do better than Yamaha. Only go with Honda if you're a very mild user. They're a great ride but won't withstand hard use.

As to the comparison of ATVs and UTVs, they are designed for completely different uses. For the cost of a UTV you can get a small 4x4 vehicle that will do more and be street legal and not be broke nearly as often. An ATV will get you through tighter spots and do it with a better power to weight ratio. This is why ATVs are presently making a comeback in sales. They simply have more uses.

10. Member
    Don’t laugh but one of the best ATVs I ever owned was a small Honda Recon 250-2wd. That’s right, a 2wd 5 speed , I could take it anywhere I took my Yamaha grizzly 450 4wd. That little quad was dependable and capable, it wasn’t fast, and only ride 1 person, but it got job done. I eventually sold it for a Honda Rubicon.

11. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    I have an 02 Kawasaki Prairie 650 that is about to turn over 65,000 miles. Top That! Gas, oil changes, tires and other maintenance items have been it other than some busted plastics and other items that were 100% my fault. Worked on ATVs for a lot of years and I assure you most are tough as nails. I'm not brand loyal to anyone but I am a bit brand disloyal which is why I would not recommend Polaris. For hard use you won't do better than Yamaha. Only go with Honda if you're a very mild user. They're a great ride but won't withstand hard use.

As to the comparison of ATVs and UTVs, they are designed for completely different uses. For the cost of a UTV you can get a small 4x4 vehicle that will do more and be street legal and not be broke nearly as often. An ATV will get you through tighter spots and do it with a better power to weight ratio. This is why ATVs are presently making a comeback in sales. They simply have more uses.
    ATVs are far from making a comeback. I work in a dealership and SxSs outsell ATVs at least 15 to 1.

13. Member
    In this area, Wards in Troy will beat the Montgomery dealer prices hands down. Great people there too. I have bought several there in years past for me and my 2 sons. And they are still doing it, friend of mine bought a Mule from there early summer, saved about 500 making the trip to Troy. In my past experience, the accessories (wheels, tires, winches, racks, hitches) are somewhat negotiable. Oh, and don't forget to stop by Reds Little Schoolhouse on the way down or back!

14. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    I'm a big Yamaha person, but my ATV is a Polaris. Had two of them and probably the only ATV I will own. They ride really good and run forever.

Honda atv's are not 4wheel drive. They are only 3wheel drive. I don't like Honda's electric shift and boots are to big for foot shift.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    As someone that's had both an ATV and a UTV (side by side), I recommend getting a side-by-side. Much more practical. Even if it's just for utility, get something like a Kawasaki Mule. Trust me, I've had both.
    I agree on the UTV but it does depend on what it is used for. I'll get one because it has room for a hunting partner, a dog, decoy, guns etc. My dad has a Mule, a 4010 or 610 or something that. It's small and good around their place. I took it to MO to duck hunt last year. I put a lift kit and taller mud tires on it to get us across a flooded bean field. It managed, but it was foot to the floor in low range just to keep moving. Would not move in high range in the water. And water was lapping over into the floor. It did stall a couple times but always started back up. Its been a reliable machine but I would not recommend it for a steady diet of what I used it for.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Banned
    Only owned one, a Yamaha Wolverine, it was an awesome machine. A performance exhaust and carb jet kit and it would run with the bigger 500 models. It was lighter and more compact which made it a lot easier to ride.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    ATVs are far from making a comeback. I work in a dealership and SxSs outsell ATVs at least 15 to 1.
    Local dealer is telling me over the last few years they didn't sell enough ATVs to make it worthwhile until the last year and now sales have increased substantially. Kawasaki factory rep has verified this also. Personally, I'm seeing more ATVs than I have for years. Farmers and pleasure riders are still set on SxSs but a number of those who hunt, fish, and otherwise spend time in the outdoors are going back to the dependability of ATVs. At least around here.

19. Member
    My SIL went through several ATV's of different Brands trading each for a bigger, better machine. Then he got his Goal a Can AM SXS. After he had it for about a year he traded it again for a ATV.

Said it was great for taking the Family out for a ride but It was Hot, Loud, and couldn't get around in the woods like he could on an ATV.

I'd like an SXS to take the Wife and Grandkids out for trail riding, but my ATV takes me places that a SXS would never go and is a Work Horse.

FWIW, I search the Used Market until I found the Right Deal. It was a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI AWD. Had around 200 hours on it. Original Tires were still at 80% or better. Guy was asking $3000 and when I called he said "I won't take less than $2,500" as soon as he answered the phone. I told him I'd be right over.

20. Member
    i was a certified tech for 20 years hon kaw suz yam and pol go with the yamaha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast