Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outdoor cooking question

Bout to build a new house, very big nice back porch, pool as well. I don't want to do a full blown outdoor kitchen with fridge, appliances, etc.. I currently have a large Big Green Egg which I love, it's perfect for our family of 5. It is great for everything until friends come over...it's too small for grilling a bunch of burgers or even bigger steaks (luckily the girls prefer filets instead of ribeyes). So what would you do? Get a bigger egg (keeping the large too, of course), get a cheaper gas grill (SPIT!!) just for parties? Any other ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

2. Member
    Nice problem to have. Can’t help with the grill I use a small charcoal Weber. Hope u and family enjoy the new house.

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Might want to think about a pellet grill for when company comes over or you're just feeling lazy.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

A Blackstone griddle. Great addition to a grill collection.

Go to Blackstone and look at all the options.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

5. Member
    I am a Weber kettle guy. If it were me and i needed to cook for a giant party i would get the Weber 37" rancher kettle.

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Two large eggs.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

A pellet grill and a flat top griddle to join the BGE. All the bases covered then.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I am a Weber kettle guy. If it were me and i needed to cook for a giant party i would get the Weber 37" rancher kettle.
    This or 2 Weber’s. I just can’t get into the pellet and smoker fad. If I needed to feed even more I would light up some hickory and shovel it into the big grills.

9. Member
    I feel your pain on this one. My camp is the same way, family of 4 but on weekends may have 20 people. Went with a large grill, 6 burner and a blackstone flat top. Couldn't be happier. Keep the green egg and add a Blackstone. It is great for veggies and chicken and searing steaks then transfer to bge for final cooking. You will never find the perfect fit for every party but the Blackstone has made it alot easier. Plus breakfast at camp is awesome on it. Pancakes eggs etc equals dual pupose...

How about adding a 26" Weber? I saw they have a limited edition Glen Blue back in stock:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/c.../16417001.html
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

11. Banned
    Home prices are pretty high...wait?

12. Member
    Rec teq 700 pellet grill. Even I can make a decent brisket on that thing. Get the griddle that fits or a stand alone griddle. Hamburgers, bacon, Bologna is good on the griddle.
    Joey Aderhold

Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Rec teq 700 pellet grill. Even I can make a decent brisket on that thing. Get the griddle that fits or a stand alone griddle. Hamburgers, bacon, Bologna is good on the griddle.
    The RecTeq is an excellent choice. The 590 (590sqin) is also a great choice. Check out the YouTube videos.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

14. Member
    I have a Blackstone, and I love it , but I don't care for burgers on it. I usually cook burgers on a gas grill for ease and convenience , plus the flavor is pretty good . For steaks I prefer to use my Kamado Joe if I have time. Personally If I was going to buy a grill just to have on hand for larger gatherings it would be a weber charcoal grill....inexpensive , fantastic flavor, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    A Blackstone griddle. Great addition to a grill collection.

Go to Blackstone and look at all the options.
    This

16. Member
    Thanks for all of the ideas! After looking into all of the suggestions, I think I'm just leaning towards the XL BGE and keeping the L for smaller cooking. I can always fire up both if I need to. The Blackstone seems very versatile for cooking but I'm mainly looking for a bigger grill and it seems like cooking on cast iron over gas outside instead of in. I just like charcoal flavor over cast iron and gas grills too. The Webers also seem great but I think the egg gives me a little more versatility if I want to do bigger smokes (larger meats, lots of deer jerky at once, etc) due to me being able to hook up the flame boss for temp control. Thanks again y'all, should be a fun project! Oh and on the "wait due to high building cost", we definitely know but I'm also looking at the very low mortgage rates too and it's sure hard to beat. Plus there's no guarantee the lumber prices will go back down even though they should but the mortgage rates can't go much lower but sure can go up.

17. Member
    I also have a Large BGE. I bought a Blackstone 36" griddle and a Louisiana Competition Pellet Smoker/Grill. I don't use the BGE much anymore. But, you can not beat a steak cooked on a BGE. The griddle is great for Fajitas, omelettes, and burgers. The Pellet Smoker is awesome for smoking ANYTHING! I just wish they would find a cure for Covid so I could have a bunch of people over to eat. SMH
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletTJ View Post
    I also have a Large BGE. I bought a Blackstone 36" griddle and a Louisiana Competition Pellet Smoker/Grill. I don't use the BGE much anymore. But, you can not beat a steak cooked on a BGE. The griddle is great for Fajitas, omelettes, and burgers. The Pellet Smoker is awesome for smoking ANYTHING! I just wish they would find a cure for Covid so I could have a bunch of people over to eat. SMH
    Just do it

19. Member
    I have a Big Green Egg and a Weber Genesis with three burners. They really compliment each other. The Green Egg takes a lot of time . I use it on leisurely days for small crowds and slow cooking ribs , brisket and pork buts. Occasionally I cook a steak on it or a pizza. When I am pushed for time I can sear a steak at 550 degrees on the Weber. If we have kids over, the Weber is great for lots of hamburgers with three burners. The Weber is my go to grill,

20. Member
    We have a large BGE and a Weber Spirit with Weber’s griddle in half the cooking surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast