Shift actuator victim

300R
    1E080789

Well it looks like I’ve become a victim of the shift actuator deciding to take a dump and it has happened when I am 2 hrs from home for a club tournament weekend. Everything worked fine last Saturday, guess I was just lucky. Guess it’s going to be a sucky trolling motor only day and it already has me irritated. A dealer here plugged into and said yep that’s the culprit, they don’t stock the part so no fixing but at least he did verify my assumption. He said there is a recall on them and I have never gotten anything from mercury for it. Do they nor or aren’t they suppose to notify owners of recalls like this?

2. Member
    There is a recall but I believe there is a serial number range for it. It also got me and my motor was outside of the range. Don fixed it no problem but had to wait for parts that were on backorder. I would plan on 2-3 weeks for a 1/2 day fix.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    According to the recall (I found it online) it is earlier serial numbers than mine but I’m sure mine will be included, if not it will be a warranty issue anyways since it’s only a year old. Won’t find out until Monday on a fix it time frame. Hopefully mercury has the part in stock.

Disconnect motor from battery for a couple mins and let computer reset... it will clear its frkm guardian mode long enough to get you by... might be several trips again before it kicks back on...go ahead and get dealer to order correct shift or sensor
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    If it failed with it in gear disconnecting if from the battery won’t make a difference, at least on mine it didn’t.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

6. Member
    We tried the disconnect last night and still no go. Fished today on troller alone and it worked out ok. Gonna call a local dealer Monday and get it in the works. Hopefully mercury has the part in stock.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Disconnect motor from battery for a couple mins and let computer reset... it will clear its frkm guardian mode long enough to get you by... might be several trips again before it kicks back on...go ahead and get dealer to order correct shift or sensor
    Don't do this- it accomplishes absolutely nothing except that the battery was disconnected. Faults cannot be "cleared" or resolved by power interruption.

Donnie- you're correct that your engine does not fall under the "recall" for the Shift Actuator (that applied to much earlier production engines). Yours would simply fall under a warranty claim to address the failed component.

While you're in for that, be sure to have them take care of the open Service Bulletin (2019-010).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don't do this- it accomplishes absolutely nothing except that the battery was disconnected. Faults cannot be "cleared" or resolved by power interruption.

Donnie- you're correct that your engine does not fall under the "recall" for the Shift Actuator (that applied to much earlier production engines). Yours would simply fall under a warranty claim to address the failed component.

While you're in for that, be sure to have them take care of the open Service Bulletin (2019-010).

Is that bulletin for the crankshaft seal inspection? I’ve had the cowling off a few times and have looked myself but haven’t notice any oil puddled anywhere up top.Have you had any of these shift actuators go out again after being replaced by the recall or warranty? Any thoughts that it might be a common problem looking out?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've had just one actuator fail (none of the ones I replaced in the earlier serial group, under the Service Bulletin had ceased to function properly). It's a relatively intricate electronic device that's used under-water, so there will be a few failures (rare, but still subject like any electronic device).

The GOOD news though is that the PCM did it's job and prevented any potential safety concern.

2019-010 is indeed for the upper crankshaft seal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor