Question New SHO - Fuel and Additives?

New SHO 225 is on the way for my Skeeter. Curious to know what fuel grade y'all are running and if you're using any additives. Want to treat her right! Thank you for your input.

2. Member
    Yamaha Ring Free in every tank.

If this is your first SHO, break in is important. Read some of the threads on here for different opinions, but what I think is best is follow the first 2 hours as the manual says and then drive it like you stole it. It is important to get the engine hot for the rings to seat properly. Somewhere around 10 hours, I would take it out on a calm day and drive it as hard as possible (Max RPM) for at least 30 minutes to get the engine temp up, let it cool for 30 minutes and then repeat the process. Check the oil after this and hopefully none of the gas has bypassed the rings to get into the oil (making oil). Then be sure to change the oil and filter at 20 hours, sooner, if making oil. You will get varied opinions here. This happens to be mine. I am on my second one. First on a Skeeter, current on a BassCat.

89 octane and Yamaha ring free in every tank.

4. Member
    Doesn't anyone read Owner's manuals? I strongly suggest that you read yours and follow it.

Ignore what everyone else, including me, and all the other experts??? on this web page tell you.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Doesn't anyone read Owner's manuals? I strongly suggest that you read yours and follow it.

Ignore what everyone else, including me, and all the other experts??? on this web page tell you.
    If you are referring to the break in procedure, if that is followed per the owner's manual, I can almost guarantee it will "make oil" until it is driven hard enough to get the rings hot enough to set.

He probably doesn't have a owners manual yet, says motor is “on the way”.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    89 octane and Yamaha ring free in every tank.
    THIS!

8. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by jhbassman1 View Post
    New SHO 225 is on the way for my Skeeter. Curious to know what fuel grade y'all are running and if you're using any additives. Want to treat her right! Thank you for your input.
    However you choose to break it in........ Be sure to vary your speeds from the first 10 minutes to the end. This is often misunderstood and overlooked but important.

9. Member
    90 non ethanol with ring free in every tank. No 89 non ethanol here...

Tons of break in opinions but I followed MY Dealers guidance. By the book for first 2 hours. Hours 2-10, run it hard varying throttle every 3-5 minutes for 20-30 minutes and get the motor hot. Stop and fish and let motor completely cool. Repeat and this will seat the Rings.

Third 250 SHO that I have owned and broke in following this guidance. Motors have NEVER made a drop of oil or had a wrench turned other than scheduled maintenance. All motors over 300 hours when sold. To each their own and simply sharing my real world experience

10. Member
    this should cause a stir but I had a yamaha tech suggest I not run ring free for probably 50hrs (or more, I cannot remember the exact hours he said) so that the rings could seat. He didnt deny that ring free is excellent, but his comments were hinting it might be too good for new engines that are "making oil".

11. Member
    I agree and document in a note book everything that you do. That way you will have a record as well as your engines computer. Following the owners manual is always the best policy. If you have an issue ( and you probably won't), I can almost guarantee that Yamaha or any other engine manufacturer will void your warranty claim in a heartbeat if they can prove that you did not follow the recommended operating procedures and a potential related problem occured.