Thread: Mille Lacs Trip

Mille Lacs Trip

Im taking my dad to Mille Lacs in a about a week. This will likely be the last time Im able to do this with him as he's getting up there in years. Kind of a bucket list deal for him. We are hoping to catch some smallmouth. I might be in the wrong forum, but Im hoping with all the knowledge on this board some of you might be willing to share some tips on where to search and what to look for this time of year. We have very limited smallmouth experience and it will be our first time on Mille Lacs. Well be equipped with Solix G2 MSI MDI and Mega 360. Not an expert on electronics but probably know enough to find what we're looking for with a little help from some of your more seasoned board vets. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Im fairly new to the board and recently posted this in the wrong forum, but had some great board members respond with some very helpful info. Im posting again in the MN forum hoping for more insight on how to approach this. Very glad I found BBC as it's such an awesome resource and just another reminder on how cool the fishing fraternity really is. Thanks in advance!

I will be there starting Saturday Oct 3 thru friday the 9th. Once I get them figured out I can point you in the right direction anyways. As far as bait, depth, technique and such. But there are some great board members here that should and most likely chime in. Lots of guys have been there starting about 2 weeks ago as the bite has been getting better and better.
    Chris Shields

Quantum Fishing
    All-Terrain Tackle
    Blackfish Gear
    Power Pole
    Legit Custom Rods

If you want to get bit buy suckers or chubs. That is what the guy are crushing them on right now and will continue to do until ice up.

EDIT: Just saw this post is old. Hopefully you guys are getting on them or were able to get on them!

This time of year on Mille Lacs is usually a game of find the bait, find the fish. Time and time again in the fall I've fished places I've caught them in the past and completely whiffed. Then moved spots and started seeing the clouds of baitfish on the graph and started catching them. All else equal, the biggest boulders are always good. As the water cools into the 40s, they seem to congregate near the really sharp breaks into the deepest water on the lake, but with the weather in the near future I doubt they're headed there just yet.

Otherwise, this video from Seth Feider after he won the AOY tourney out there a few years back is pretty much gold:
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Planning on my first trip over there this weekend. Forecast calls for winds out of the south at 9mph. If I stay on the south end of the lake I should be ok right? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. So far I've read the find boulders and find bait and I should find some fish. Drop shots? Tubes? Jerkbaits?
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

South end definitely holds fish, Add FB jigs and keitech style swimbaits on jig heads to your list

7. Member
    Probably not coming this weekend due to the forecast. Wind and snow and rain. If the wind forecast was better I'd be over there, but will try again before ice up.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"