epoxy application

for a beginner,,, how would you guys suggest I do it ??? slow dryer turn 10-12 rpms or by hand ( turning the rod by hand ) ??? pros , cons and suggestions are greatly appreciated ... thanks Mychael PS... this is for epoxy application to the thread wraps

2. Goby King
    Applying by hand is a real PITA, but it allows you to learn your finish's properties. I then started using a 18rpm dryer motor to apply. Now I apply with a power wrapper at high speed and will never go back. I taught a few classes and applied by hand in them and it was brutal!

3. Member
    Turning by hand sucks. 9-10 RPM is better but IMO too slow. 18 RPM is fine. Takes me maybe 8-10 minutes to finish a rod with 18

Did it by hand for years. I could do it again if I had do. But a good rod dryer makes a great tool for application.

I had a 9 rpm, but have since gone to the 18 which I like better, next one will be the variable one I have seen on mudhole

6. Member
    if you haven't purchased a dryer yet, I would go with TerrysRanger's mention of the variable speed dryer from Mud Hole. It will go up to 45 rpm, which will make it much more enjoyable for you. And you have to enjoy it or you'll be discouraged and may stop building all together.

Personally I'd go with the variable with the slip clutch. You can stop the rod without having to turn off the motor. I don't have a slip clutch yet, but I plan on getting one to chuck up in my power wrapper.

I like 18. I have a nine and I hate it.

8. Banned
    9 is fine for drying. 18 is much better for applying. Power wrapper makes everything easier.