Dark downscan and sidescan: Carbon, A.I. 2-in-1 and HDS gen 3 issues

I have a couple of issues with my HDS 9 Carbon (console) and networked HDS 7 gen 3 (bow). The units are networked via ethernet and NMEA (Point-1 is on the NMEA network, as well). I also have an HDS 5 (gen 1) that is on the NMEA network, but not the ethernet system. (the HDS 5 unit has not been powered on during these issues) I have an HDI transducer that is glassed in, in the bilge area. My Active Imaging 2-in-1 transducer is mounted on the starboard side of my jack plate on a Transducer Shield and Saver mount. Both transducers are connected directly to the Carbon unit.

Problem 1: Recently, my downscan and ONE SIDE of my side scan have become very dark. I was getting great images a month ago, but now there is very little detail on downscan, and my starboard side sidescan is very dark. I have to increase sensitivity to Auto +13 to obtain any viewable image of the starboard sidescan, which blows the port-side image out. Both units have dedicated feeds from a brand new battery. The only change since this has started happening, is that I added a Navionics Hotmaps Platinum card in the left Carbon microSD slot.

Problem 2: My units are very slow to communicate. The Navionics Platinum mapping does not show up initially on my gen 3 unit. Sometimes it takes hours for it to finally ask if I want to utilize the map. The bow unit (gen 3) is also very slow to show waypoints that are marked on the Carbon unit.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on why this might be happening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I should also ask if the Navionics card should be copied to the hard drive in the HDS Carbon. Right now, it is reading off of the card.

3. Member
    You can't copy Navionics data. It will always read off the card. As for the speed of connection, usually that is either a poor power supply to one of the units or more likely too many waypoints on one of the units. You can only have 5000 and if you never erase trails, that adds up the waypoints quick. Delete all unused trails and waypoints and it should speed up your Gen 3. Can't help with your Structure issues. Sorry.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    Thanks NoCAL for the help. I do have lots of waypoints on the gen 3. I'll do some clean-up and see if that speeds things up.

5. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    anytime the network graph(s) are sharing from the base unit map card (not base internal maps), it will take time for the network graphs to pull mapping from base.

If no card in base= MUCH faster...

6. Member
    You should check to see that your HDI 'ducer on channel 1 is set to Generic 83/200. This will
    shut off the Downscan ping from that 'ducer. You can not have two sources of Downscan.
    AI 2-in-1 will be automatically recognized on channel 2.

7. Member
    I'll check my HDI settings. Thanks for the tips!

8. Member
    I changed the settings on my HDI to generic 83/200, but still getting the same downscan image. Very little detail, and it has trouble finding the bottom, even in less than 10' of water. I'm still getting a very dark image on the right side of my sidescan, also. *** note: The starboard side (dark image) is not obstructed by the motor. The A.I. 2-in-1 is mounted to the bottom of the jack plate on the starboard side. Could the transducer be failing (both downscan and one sidescan)?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    anytime the network graph(s) are sharing from the base unit map card (not base internal maps), it will take time for the network graphs to pull mapping from base.

If no card in base= MUCH faster...
    I don’t believe this. If there are no underlying conditions, Ethernet connections do not slow down the units. Mapping data is so small and takes up so little memory I can’t see how it would slow down units. I’ve had mine connected since Gen 1. We started sharing map cards in Gen 2. I’ve never seen a difference in speed when connected or sharing. There is another issue causing the OPs problem
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

10. Member
    Is it possible that downscan and one side of my sidescan is failing on my A.I. 2-1n-1 transducer? Are there 3 different elements in the transducer?

Thanks for any help you can give.