Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New lower gear ratio.

I am hearing from a good source that 2021 could be bring a new ratio. that would make propping theses Suzuki a little easer to prop. an should increase top end speed. hope in hearing this right.

2. Member
    It's already been changed on the 200SS.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

The 150 SS and 200 SS are running 2:1 now. Big improvement.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 11-22-2020 at 11:19 AM.

4. Member
    Rumors I heard said it should shake up the bass boat market. That was from a bass guy . For what it's worth

5. Member
    I sure hope they do! The 250SS is an awesome engine and a little top end is all it lacks to really level the playing field with the other two.

6. Member
    I sure hope it happens. My 250ss HAS THE POWER, JUST NEEDS THOSE DIFFENRT GEARS TO LET IT LOOSE .

7. Member
    I’m hoping that the new gear ratio doesn’t change the bullet proof toughness of this lower unit. The is existing lower unit is a godsend here in Iowa where I fish on the Mississippi river.

8. Member
    I have no problem with the current ratio. But it probably makes sense to go slightly up where most boats can pitch 25 or 26 where the most props are available.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    I believe the 150 SS and 200 SS are running 2:1 now. Big improvement.
    Has anyone run these new lower units? I have yet to see real world numbers.

10. Member
    I hope the new 250SS is lighter than the current model.

11. Member
    Yeah dropping 50 pounds wouldn't hurt for sure.

12. Member
    3 bowling balls is a lot of weight to lose. That would be a complete redesign.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Has anyone run these new lower units? I have yet to see real world numbers.
    There are no performance tests yet, but the Yamaha 150 SHO uses a 2:1, and the 175 SHO a 1.86, and the Merc 150 ProXS is 2.08, so the new ratio makes it right inline with the other 150s. The Suzuki has a 100 RPM higher RPM range over the Yam and Merc 150 ProXS which is nice too. And they used the gearcase from the V6 so it has low water pickup and beefier internals. Great move by Suzuki.

Here's a detailed article about all the 200s and some details about the new Suzuki SS updates.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...aha-and-suzuki

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    There are no performance tests yet, but the Yamaha 150 SHO uses a 2:1, and the 175 SHO a 1.86, and the Merc 150 ProXS is 2.08, so the new ratio makes it right inline with the other 150s. The Suzuki has a 100 RPM higher RPM range over the Yam and Merc 150 ProXS which is nice too. And they used the gearcase from the V6 so it has low water pickup and beefier internals. Great move by Suzuki.

Here's a detailed article about all the 200s and some details about the new Suzuki SS updates.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...aha-and-suzuki
    Thanks for the article, actually contains useful information, since no dealer seems to know anything.

I did talk to one dealer who said Suzuki told him that changing out the lower unit from 2.5:1 to 2:1 would not be a good move, and maybe even lower performance. Is there catch that I'm not seeing? It seems like the powerhead and everything else is the same except for the lower unit. Is the vertical driveshaft different as well? Just trying to figure out why a dealer would claim that. I'm running the 200 btw.
    Last edited by th365thli; 11-25-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Thanks for the article, actually contains useful information, since no dealer seems to know anything.

I did talk to one dealer who said Suzuki told him that changing out the lower unit from 2.5:1 to 2:1 would not be a good move, and maybe even lower performance. Is there catch that I'm not seeing? It seems like the powerhead and everything else is the same except for the lower unit. Is the vertical driveshaft different as well? Just trying to figure out why a dealer would claim that. I'm running the 200 btw.
    I would say it would depend on the hull. The saltwater world seems to put small engines on larger boats. A 150 to 200 on a 20 to 23ft boat is common mostly because their hulls are a displacement hull and the engine basically just pushes the boat forward, its all about buoyancy. This is were the 2.5:1 ratio will shine with a small outboard on a larger boat. Less stress on the engine getting up to proper RPM.....a lot like the "BigFoot" 60hp on a pontoon. Its no speed demon but it will move along fine.

A planing hull would like a higher gear ratio such as the 2.1:1 as it just has to lug down a bit to get the hull up out of the hole and on plane but once there the engine uses that higher gear to keep the boat up on pad and moving. the hull has less resistance than a displacement hull so that ratio is much more favorable.

With that all being said the 4 stroke outboard engine is a unique beast that with only delivering power on 1 of its 4 cycles, engineers need to be creative to make the power of the engine work from bottom to top and they use everything from camshaft timing, displacement, variable intake runner length AND different lower unit gear ratios to make it all work out on a variey of different boats.

So will the lower unit ratio change on the SS engines be a bad thing.....NO. The dealers just need to educate themselves on what type of hull the engine is going on and its intended use to provide the customer with the proper choice outboard.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Great response Joe, and Im inclined to agree with you. I suspect the dealer I had talked to just assumed it wouldn't work using big boats as the context. I talked to Reliable Marine in Miami and they confirmed it was a direct swap and they saw an average of 8 mph increase on small boats like ours.

17. Member
    Its going to happen just don't know when. When it does I'm swamping out, that's all my 250 needs.

18. Member
    Deep V offshore hulls are not displacement hulls.

By definition, displacement hulls don’t plane. And they are fairly slow. Basically, the maximum hull speed of a displacement hull in in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet. This obviously doesnt apply to any deep V planing hull.

FYi Suzuki’s rationale for gear ratios for their standard engines (not the new SS models) is as follows, and I quote from Suzukis website:

“Suzuki engineers have verified through countless hours of testing that an outboard propeller with a large diameter will carry a bigger load. Essentially, the large diameter will push more water. Also during the testing, the engineers verified a larger pitch propeller will have less slip. Armed with this information, the engineers have designed Suzuki outboard motors with a large Cubic Inch Displacement, (remember there is no replacement for displacement), light weight and an aggressive final drive ratio. This is why Suzuki can get down with the down low - ratio that is. See specifications for gear ratio.”

Offshore boats also have to deal with ocean swells and sea conditions that bass boats dont have to. A Deep V hull takes a lot to push it onto the plane, and of course there are rough weather days where the prop needs to be able to hold the boat on the plane at low speeds, just on the plane. Under these conditions a prop with bigger blade area will be better.

So the new ratio is a case of horses for courses, and something best suited to the bassboat scene.

"So the new ratio is a case of horses for courses, and something best suited to the bassboat scene"

So, yes I was correct I my statement.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    "So the new ratio is a case of horses for courses, and something best suited to the bassboat scene"

So, yes I was correct I my statement.
    More info from Reliable Marine in Miami, they said that switching out lower units will NOT void warranty. Will probably want to clarify more with them, but that's a promising sign. Still waiting on a quote.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast