Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striper joe View Post
    I'm running A 250ss on a Blazer 625 started out with a 27 4 blade Bravo hit Rev limiter with out much touch, went to a 4blade 28 Suzuki prop. Problem solved. its going to take a bigger prop than you think. The Suzuki is a whole new deal on props. If they would just change the lower unit gear ratio. We would be good to go. What kind of speed are you looking for?????? If you are looking for speed, go ahead an change motors. The Suzuki will not run with the Mercury an SHO. ITS all about the gear ratio. My 2cents. Takes a stiff prop. Ill be following this thread.
    Unfortunately this is not true. And respectfully, your experience with your 250SS has nothing to do with the 200SS. I've tried many props now, talked to dealers that have done this repower, and the DF200SS is just not suitable for bass boats. Doss Marine in SC probably does the most Suzuki powers in the south east and they have been doing a ton of testing, and they can't break 62 mph, no matter what prop.

As Booter said, the torque curve is wrong, it doesn't have the power to turn a 24/25 prop in the upper RPM range.

let me throw this out there then. I put a 150 on a 195 falcon it runs fine and gets to proper RPM as well as the appropriate speed for a 150. Why is it I put a 200SS Suzuki on the same boat and now it doesn't make enough power to spin to the proper RPM??!!?? As mentioned you are not going to see the same speeds but you should still be able to spin that engine to the proper RPM. You just need to find the correct prop AND engine height setting.

As far as DOSS marine. When I called them and talked about a repower it sounded like they could care less as far as setting the boats up properly AND from what he said they are WAY TOO busy to even think about doing that. Heck they wouldn't even work with us for setting up a 2-3 day window for an install and we had a 12+ hour drive and would have to stay a few days. Said just drop it off and when we get to it we get to it. So, i would take what they say with a grain a salt.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    let me throw this out there then. I put a 150 on a 195 falcon it runs fine and gets to proper RPM as well as the appropriate speed for a 150. Why is it I put a 200SS Suzuki on the same boat and now it doesn't make enough power to spin to the proper RPM??!!?? As mentioned you are not going to see the same speeds but you should still be able to spin that engine to the proper RPM. You just need to find the correct prop AND engine height setting.

As far as DOSS marine. When I called them and talked about a repower it sounded like they could care less as far as setting the boats up properly AND from what he said they are WAY TOO busy to even think about doing that. Heck they wouldn't even work with us for setting up a 2-3 day window for an install and we had a 12+ hour drive and would have to stay a few days. Said just drop it off and when we get to it we get to it. So, i would take what they say with a grain a salt.
    I hear ya man. The thing is, even if I pitch down and spin the proper rpm, it's not gonna get the speed I want. I crunched the numbers and pitching down yes will get my rpms up but it's offset by the change in pitch. I'd need to turn a 23 or down, and even if the motor turns 6200 right at the rev limiter, it's gonna barely crack 60. I think we might've misunderstood each other. I'm not concerned about not being able to turn RPMs, a 21-23 pitch would get me that. If I pitch down that much I don't gain speed. For example, a true 23 pitch at 6200 rpms with a 2:1 gear ratio will give me 61 miles with 9 percent slip. You're not gonna get much better than 9 percent slip. Yes Scorpions generally run around 3-5 percent slip but they are stiffer and you have to pitch down more.

The Suzuki 150s and 250s I hear are compete okay with the competition. However, the 200 doesn't, and I hear they may even drop the 200SS. It simply has the wrong torque curve. Forget about Doss marine for a sec. I've tried a 25 Tempest, a 24 Scorpion, and a 25 Powertech. I couldn't turn any of those props to get 65 mph. There's no magical prop out there that can turn fast enough to push the boat 65+. It's not gonna happen. Let me know what speeds your buddy gets, I would HAPPILY be proven wrong.

I talked to the dealer that did the install on my friends boat. He said he installed a 15x21 3 blade SS prop. He said it was the only prop that he could turn some decent RPM with. Doesn't sound promising as it may only be a 55mph boat.

I did read where a guy was running mid 60s with a 26" prop so who knows
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I talked to the dealer that did the install on my friends boat. He said he installed a 15x21 3 blade SS prop. He said it was the only prop that he could turn some decent RPM with. Doesn't sound promising as it may only be a 55mph boat.

I did read where a guy was running mid 60s with a 26" prop so who knows
    What boat is he running? There will be some variances depending on kind of boat. But I would love to know what prop that is. Or he could be blowing smoke up our asses.

He was running an older Stratos. Looks like a watergrip 15 1/2x26

Stratos Boat Owners Group | Facebook
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

8. Member
    Looks like that's for the v6 unfortunately. But it's all moot now. I already placed an order for a Mercury 200 Pro XS. And I'm in the midst of selling the Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by striper joe View Post
    I sure hope it happens. My 250ss HAS THE POWER, JUST NEEDS THOSE DIFFENRT GEARS TO LET IT LOOSE .
    Agreed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I hear ya man. The thing is, even if I pitch down and spin the proper rpm, it's not gonna get the speed I want. I crunched the numbers and pitching down yes will get my rpms up but it's offset by the change in pitch. I'd need to turn a 23 or down, and even if the motor turns 6200 right at the rev limiter, it's gonna barely crack 60. I think we might've misunderstood each other. I'm not concerned about not being able to turn RPMs, a 21-23 pitch would get me that. If I pitch down that much I don't gain speed. For example, a true 23 pitch at 6200 rpms with a 2:1 gear ratio will give me 61 miles with 9 percent slip. You're not gonna get much better than 9 percent slip. Yes Scorpions generally run around 3-5 percent slip but they are stiffer and you have to pitch down more.

The Suzuki 150s and 250s I hear are compete okay with the competition. However, the 200 doesn't, and I hear they may even drop the 200SS. It simply has the wrong torque curve. Forget about Doss marine for a sec. I've tried a 25 Tempest, a 24 Scorpion, and a 25 Powertech. I couldn't turn any of those props to get 65 mph. There's no magical prop out there that can turn fast enough to push the boat 65+. It's not gonna happen. Let me know what speeds your buddy gets, I would HAPPILY be proven wrong.

I know you sold the engine already, but there a couple things happening. First, the ratio changed but so did the gearcase, same as the V6 gearcase. This case has a low water pickup so you can and should raise your engine higher. This will raise your RPM 100 to 300 RPM depending on how high and what prop you use, enabling the higher pitch prop. Setup is really critical. But, to that end, the 2:1 ratio is still pretty low.

I would've tried to find the maximum height you could have raised it and get it running in the 6000 to 6100 RPM range. It will be interesting to see the comparison with the ProXS, more torque, taller gears but setup is still key.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 03-09-2021 at 03:04 PM.

11. Member
    Barely crack 60 GPS with my 200DF standard model with a 3 blade 16 inch wheel either a 23.5 or 24.5 Suzuki prop. Could go faster with a little more pitch I think. Hole shot pretty good now.

Stratos 285 19'5' dual console, one 275 pound old man driving.

The SS has the gear advantage. Try a Trophy Plus, Tempest, Fury 3 and 4. Run the gearcase as high as you can considering water pressure. Most of these props need to be run high to perform, it's critical.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 04-12-2021 at 01:27 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    The SS has the gear advantage, and the low water pickup advantage. Try a Trophy Plus, Tempest, Fury 3 and 4. Run the gearcase as high as you can considering water pressure. Most of these props need to be run high to perform, it's critical.
    Im not sure my exact prop to pad but when I ran those props it was pretty high. I had maybe an inch left to go up on my jack plate. Any more and handling suffered.

And that's the point, I was tired of trying different props. Those props you listed arent cheap. I doubt one prop would be an 8+ mph difference. I suppose I could try one more time with the powertech, but Id rather not risk anything to the motor now that I have a buyer

14. Member
    Also, I was rooster tailing when ran high and trimmed up, so I knew I was getting close to too high

15. Member
    So you like your Mercury? LET GO

16. Member
    2021 suzuki DF200SS on a 19'1" 2001 Stratos SS Extreme. This is the inline 4cyl powered with a 24 pitch powertech prop currently. Was running a 200hp evinrude fitch with a 24 pitch raker HO before she let go. Boat would run 72mph with evinrude and now I'm doing good to hit 62mph with Suzuki. Gets to 50mph pretty good, but after that it just seems to be bogged down getting to 60mph and is turning about 5800. In North Carolina so water temp is currently low 60s. Does anyone have any suggestions to try. I'm not happy with spending 18k changing controls and repowering to lose 10mph. I also added a 8" bobs action jack plate to the boat moving away from a manual 6". Heck, I'm not even impressed with the hole shot. 200Hp is 200Hp, so there has to be something I'm missing here. I've spoke to powertech and they claim the boat is propped right, but at this point I'm ready for them to throw there book out the window. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmit21 View Post
    2021 suzuki DF200SS on a 19'1" 2001 Stratos SS Extreme. This is the inline 4cyl powered with a 24 pitch powertech prop currently. Was running a 200hp evinrude fitch with a 24 pitch raker HO before she let go. Boat would run 72mph with evinrude and now I'm doing good to hit 62mph with Suzuki. Gets to 50mph pretty good, but after that it just seems to be bogged down getting to 60mph and is turning about 5800. In North Carolina so water temp is currently low 60s. Does anyone have any suggestions to try. I'm not happy with spending 18k changing controls and repowering to lose 10mph. I also added a 8" bobs action jack plate to the boat moving away from a manual 6". Heck, I'm not even impressed with the hole shot. 200Hp is 200Hp, so there has to be something I'm missing here. I've spoke to powertech and they claim the boat is propped right, but at this point I'm ready for them to throw there book out the window. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Those Raker props can be great. Did you try it on your Suzuki? The Suzuki should be able to get really close to the Evinrude. What's the RPM now? You're going to want to run it right up to the max RPM, raise the engine as much as you can. The gears are still pretty low on the Suzuki, so you might need to run a different pitch. The Raker runs a little higher in pitch (24 acts like a 25-26). The Raker, Tempest, Trophy etc are all really good to try.

If your Rude was at 6000 RPM, 24 pitch that means you had 2% slip at 72. If that's a GPS speed, the number becomes more realistic if the Raker is actually more like a 25 or 26 = 8 to 10% slip.

Checks out by this test: https://www.boats.com/solid-speed/

That's a fast hull, so with some tinkering you should be able to get it close with a 25 to 27", depending on setup.

18. Member
    Was turning about 5700-5800 with evinrude/raker combo. I still have the 24 raker and have access to a 25 temptest to try. Everything I've seen has said go bigger in diameter with Suzuki's. Any comments on this? What is your take on the Scorpion?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasmit21 View Post
    Was turning about 5700-5800 with evinrude/raker combo. I still have the 24 raker and have access to a 25 temptest to try. Everything I've seen has said go bigger in diameter with Suzuki's. Any comments on this? What is your take on the Scorpion?
    For a low performance heavy boat, then you could make the case for a large diameter, and that was Suzuki's target with there other outboards. But on a light performance boat, the bigger prop will slow you down, especially when it's submerged. Generally, 200 HP and under, I like to start with the smaller diameters and test from there. 13.75" to 14.5" is generally a common performance size range for that HP. The new SS gearcase is designed to be run slightly higher and the gear ratio to turn the prop faster.

Try your Raker for fun, see what it does. It should rev higher, you have lower gears now, so it might get you 6000 RPM if everything else is the same: engine height for example. Run your engine the same height or higher than the Rude. Those Raker props are great as you know.

20. Member
    My regular, 200 NOT SS, hits the rev limiter at 6100 RPM. That's barely 60 MPH give or take a little on a dual console Stratos 19 foot 5 inch hull. I did put a whale tail on and it really helped the hole shot. No sense in discussing my prop because I have the old gearcase. I did expect a little more top end and I think I can get about 5 MPH more with a cupped prop but might lose my hole shot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast