Evinrude idle/wont stay running issue????? Help

well i put my 1988 ranger 363v up for sale within a day a guy wanted it. And so we went to the lake today.

And it wouldn't stay running with the trim all the way down.if I bumped the trim up just a bit it would idle go in gear and run wide open.and while it running up on plain you can teim down and it still runs wide open but as soon as you throttle down it will idle rough and die and won't start!! Trim it up a bit and it will start and idle and jump up on plain no problem. Needless to say the boat didn't sell and I was not happy.

The motor is a 1988 evinrude v6 150, the motor is a great running motor, and it starts right up cold and out of the water with the ears on it ,it runs fine. Please help!! any ideas

2. Member
    Is this a new motor for you? You must keep the exhaust relief holes on the back of the motor out of the water at start up and idle. Idle with motor level, on take off increase idle a little and trim down just before punching it.

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

4. Member
    Recommend you treat the engine with a can of engine tuner. It’s easy to inject via the red valve on the primer solenoid. Let er sit overnight, new spark plugs and it works wonders.

5. Member
    Well
    The whole boat is new to me but the motor was on the boat when I bought it. Guy I got it from said he never ran it all the way trimmed down so he never had that issue. Is there anything I can put in the fuel tank that might help?
    I got a guy wanting to trade me and cash for my boat and even though it runs fine not trimmed down I dont want to sell him something thats not ready to go

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can put rocket fuel in the tank if you want but if the exhaust relief holes are submerged it won't help. Those are the two holes just below the lower motor cover on the rear of the midsection. Trim up to mid trim and as you accelerate you can trim down to get on plane quicker. They just can't be under water.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonh36898 View Post
    Well
    The whole boat is new to me but the motor was on the boat when I bought it. Guy I got it from said he never ran it all the way trimmed down so he never had that issue. Is there anything I can put in the fuel tank that might help?
    I got a guy wanting to trade me and cash for my boat and even though it runs fine not trimmed down I dont want to sell him something thats not ready to go

check ptp numbers? maybe motor is WAY too low??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    print this out and show him exhaust needs to be out of the water to idle ??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    I had idle issues on mine for awhile. After putting it in the water and checking the idle timing I realized I was way out of wack. I put it back to the recommended 7 deg BTDC and adjusted the idle. It purrs like a kitten now. Following the steps in the manual I could never get it dialed in. First complete a link and sync. Next leave the roller loose. Connect a timing light to the spark plug wire for cylinder #1. With the boat in the water, start the engine and have someone increase the throttle until you get the recommended idle timing, should be 7 deg. Next move the roller until it touches the cam and see where it lands (it should be on the short mark). If it does not land on the short mark, loosen the jam nut on the cam and adjust until it does. Tighten the roller and retighten the jam nut. After that adjust your idle and you should be good to go.

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOracer86 View Post
    I had idle issues on mine for awhile. After putting it in the water and checking the idle timing I realized I was way out of wack. I put it back to the recommended 7 deg BTDC and adjusted the idle. It purrs like a kitten now. Following the steps in the manual I could never get it dialed in. First complete a link and sync. Next leave the roller loose. Connect a timing light to the spark plug wire for cylinder #1. With the boat in the water, start the engine and have someone increase the throttle until you get the recommended idle timing, should be 7 deg. Next move the roller until it touches the cam and see where it lands (it should be on the short mark). If it does not land on the short mark, loosen the jam nut on the cam and adjust until it does. Tighten the roller and retighten the jam nut. After that adjust your idle and you should be good to go.
    Crossflow V6's dont have an idle timing setting. They have pickup timing which I set 8-10 degrees for best response. Also need to insure carb starts to open as you get to the pick up timing setting. Verify it after the roller is tightened. Some older motors have wear and tear in the linkage system and just because the roller touches, doesn't mean it is right. May need tweeked a bit. I use an alligator clip with a paper clip straightened as a pointer to hook to the middle carb throttle shaft to show when carbs start to open.
    Last edited by omcforever; 10-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

11. Member
    omcforever you are correct, pickup timing is the proper term.