Question Need fish finder help setting up bring reccomendations

Hello

Got my boat all working nice, but it doesn't have fish finders yet. I started looking for something and got pretty confused pretty fast. I have a 200 Suzuki engine, and a terrova at the front. I also have an lgc 3000 gps receiver, and a lowrance skimmer transducer. I don't want to start a big argument, but what units would you recommend? At the helm I will definitely need something with GPS and navionics, because I go through a lot of places where prop strikes are common. So for near the helm I was thinking a lowrance HDS 9. I like the fact that I can connect through N2K to my engine and build a custom digital dash on the lowrance. As far as I know only lowrance works with suzuki. So I had that pretty much decided and went to buy one, and then I learned about side imaging and down imaging. I already have a skimmer transducer in the back, so is that down imaging? THE BIG QUESTION: do I want side or down at the helm? Also will a lowrance HDS 9 gen3 be able to do either just by plugging in different transducers, or is there a specific one?

Ok, now for the bow. Should I get another screen at the bow or will transferring the one from the helm forward work? Having that said, do I want side or down at the bow? I know my trolling motor has a transducer in it, WAG its down imaging. For the bow I thought maybe humminbird helix mega? or is it not a good idea to mix brands? Does the helix mega have a built in gps, can it use N2K data from the lgc 3000, or does it need it's own separate puck? Will the helix communicate well with the hds?

I mostly fish for bass (or at least that is what I caught so far) in maybe about 10ft deep water in mostly near rocks on georgian bay.

As you can see, a BOAT LOAD of noob questions. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks

2. Member
    I'll try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
    First let's just address the Humming Bird / Lowrance question. They will NOT communicate or network with each other. Stick with one brand of the other. That being said if you go the H-Bird route, I can't help much with questions and what I have added below this only applies to Lowrance. Been running Lowrance HDS since gen 1 came out and now run gen 3’s.

"At the helm I will definitely need something with GPS and navionics" The HDS 9 Gen 3 has GPS, but the Navionics card is a separate purchase chip that requires a yearly subscription. Card must be in the unit to use the Navionics mapping, but if the helm and bow are networked, both units can use the Navionics mapping from the one card.

"I like the fact that I can connect through N2K to my engine and build a custom digital dash on the lowrance." I do not know if you can direct connect N2K from the motor to the Lowrance and get the gauge package. It may work, but I have no experience with Suzuki N2K. The Lowrance definitely has N2K if you have a N2K backbone set up in your boat.

" I already have a skimmer transducer in the back, so is that down imaging?" NO this is not down imaging, this is for standard 2D Sonar only and if it’s not a Lowrance transducer it may require some sort of adapter cable. Down Imaging / Side Imaging require a different transducer, or you can purchase a Total Scan transducer that has all three.

" THE BIG QUESTION: do I want side or down at the helm?" Having the down imaging / side imaging at the helm is very useful when idling over and scanning areas for fish, cover and structure. If you use two Lowrance units and you install a side / down imaging transducer you will have it both at the helm and bow anyway.

"Also will a lowrance HDS 9 gen3 be able to do either just by plugging in different transducers, or is there a specific one?" Yes the HDS 9 G3 will do all three with the right transducer - 2D sonar, down imaging and side imaging. Currently you only have a 2D sonar transducer.

“Ok, now for the bow. Should I get another screen at the bow or will transferring the one from the helm forward work?” I would highly recommend another unit for the bow. Moving one from the helm to the bow while on the water would be a total pain. If you do put one on the bow you will want an ethernet cable run so you can network them by ethernet. This will give you more capability to transfer data that the N2K network does not handle. Navionics mapping requires an ethernet connection to be able to use the mapping on both units. If you go with Lowrance the Gen 3 or Gen 2 will network by ethernet directly with a Lowrance ethernet cable.

As far as the LCG 3000. This is fairly old technology. I would recommend just scrapping it and getting a Lowrance Point 1 to install on your N2K network. Point 1 is the newest technology and a much better compass / heading sensor. The LCG 3000 will likely work but will not perform like a Point 1.

Regarding the built in transducer on your Terrova. This is also a 2D sonar transducer and will work well with Lowrance, but you will need to buy an adapter cable to be able to connect it to the Lowrance. If you use this transducer on the front unit, you will be able to use 2D up front, and if you are networked by ethernet to the helm unit, AND you install a total scan transducer or a Down / Side imaging transducer to the helm unit, you will have this capability also at the bow.

Hope any of this helps.

Wow! Thank you! I think this clears up all my questions, thank you!