Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    They are asking for something that is a safety concern for some. I don't think this is complaining.
    +1
    I requested Humminbird Support to refer this problem higher. Humminbird's higher management response was the disclaimer that Humminbird was not responsible for navigational usage and navigation was sole responsibility of the user. This encompassed Navionics, Lakemaster and any mapping.

My opinion was that the Humminbird "Display Scrubbing of track-points" with this Humminbird software bug was the fault of Humminbird. The fault is their modification of navigation which makes track untrustworthy, unreliable and unsafe. Their fault endangers their users.

First, Humminbird has no valid sane reason to be scrubbing track-points.
    Second, Humminbird scrubs the apex-track-point which can deviate a path by a 10, 20, 100 yards or more.
    Third, Humminbird over-scrubs which make straight-line-tracks disappear if you zoom-in closer.
    Fourth, Humminbird, themselves, should not create tracks with a DEFAULT TRACK-POINT INTERVAL of 6 feet. A track-point will be created every interval or CHANGE-OF-DIRECTION.

Humminbird Support stated Solix units scrub track-points during the display of tracks to lessen the processor load. So using Solix defaults the processor must create a track-point every 6ft, then this Solix processor must Display-Scrub the 6ft track-points. WHAT THE HELL! The processor-load is in the crunching of HB STUPIDITY.
    We create tracks with 200-300ft track-points intervals and at change-in-direction to be efficient, and HB Solix sucks this into its stupid vortex.

Humminbird needs to stop display-scrubbing Solix track-points!
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 10-26-2020 at 10:13 AM.

2. Member
    Solix units will import MATRIX/HT file for tracks. Solix units don't seem to Display-Scrub imported HT tracks, so the Solix unit will correctly display the imported HT track.

THIS TRACK WILL NOT BE CORRECT AFTER THE SOLIX IS RESTARTED. THE TRACK DISPLAYED CAN BE OFF BY MANY YARDS.

This is a safety issue that can easily fool the unaware.

Humminbird needs to stop display-scrubbing Solix track-points!

3. Member
    Glad I don’t use it.

4. Member
    I just installed dual solix units. Had I known this I would have looked at other units. Navigating areas with channels or shallow areas is what I planned to use the tracks for. Take my time through an area the first time and save the track for future use but this sounds like this would not be wise on a solix unit. So much for getting humminbird's top of the line unit...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brax View Post
    I just installed dual solix units. Had I known this I would have looked at other units. Navigating areas with channels or shallow areas is what I planned to use the tracks for. Take my time through an area the first time and save the track for future use but this sounds like this would not be wise on a solix unit. So much for getting humminbird's top of the line unit...
    This is how I planned to use mine also. I just got mine and haven't had them out on the water yet. As a matter of fact I was reading the manual this morning to try to figure out tracks.

Is this a problem when importing tracks or does it also affect those created on the water? I also don't have the points figured out yet. Can someone explain that?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    This is how I planned to use mine also. I just got mine and haven't had them out on the water yet. As a matter of fact I was reading the manual this morning to try to figure out tracks.

Is this a problem when importing tracks or does it also affect those created on the water? I also don't have the points figured out yet. Can someone explain that?
    It appears to more of an issue with tracks that are created in other programs such as Google Earth then imported into a Solix unit. LittleGazoo has noted the main issue when creating a track with the unit itself. I don't remember the default distance for the unit when it creates "trackpoints" in a track but I think it is 7'. This issue appears to occur more with larger tracks. The "scrubbing" of "apex" trackpoints is much less when 7' is chosen for the "trackpoint" distance but it creates tracks with a large number of trackpoints that can slow up your units. The other issue with a 7' distance for trackpoints is it will cause sections of a long straight segment to disappear when you zoom in too much because it is "scrubbing" some of the trackpoints. It appears the units themselves are "scrubbing" the trackpoints when it displays the track because if you look at the file with some programming software you can see the number of trackpoints are correct. It looks like it is a result of the operating system telling the units how to display the tracks. All of my Solix units are Gen 1 and it does the same thing with them.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    It appears to more of an issue with tracks that are created in other programs such as Google Earth then imported into a Solix unit. LittleGazoo has noted the main issue when creating a track with the unit itself. I don't remember the default distance for the unit when it creates "trackpoints" in a track but I think it is 7'. This issue appears to occur more with larger tracks. The "scrubbing" of "apex" trackpoints is much less when 7' is chosen for the "trackpoint" distance but it creates tracks with a large number of trackpoints that can slow up your units. The other issue with a 7' distance for trackpoints is it will cause sections of a long straight segment to disappear when you zoom in too much because it is "scrubbing" some of the trackpoints. It appears the units themselves are "scrubbing" the trackpoints when it displays the track because if you look at the file with some programming software you can see the number of trackpoints are correct. It looks like it is a result of the operating system telling the units how to display the tracks. All of my Solix units are Gen 1 and it does the same thing with them.
    Humminbird's Track Points are one each second=default setting and can be increased. Trackpoint Interval menu item.
    The distance between them would be determined by the speed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Humminbird's Track Points are one each second=default setting and can be increased. Trackpoint Interval menu item.
    The distance between them would be determined by the speed.
    Thanks Wayne, I couldn’t remember the default off the top of my head. I figured that was in your memory bank. The scrubbing does still occur with the default setting but it doesn’t appear to be as much. It looks like it scrubs more on a long straight run which causes sections of your track to disappear if you zoom in far enough. It also looks like the scrubbing occurs more on larger tracks. I have figured a way to fix the issue but it requires a lot of manual manipulation for each of the tracks which can be very time consuming. I have seen the issues that LittleGazoo has mentioned. I have created some “clear running lanes” that I have imported to my unit. The unit then scrubs a lot of the track points and thereby changes the “display” of the tracks. This causes it to run right through a stump field. If I didn’t know the big stump field was there, I would probably have a new lower unit. It is NOT actually DELETING the track points because they are still there when you export the file back out of the unit and look at the track point list. The issue is how the unit is actually handling the way it “displays” the track. I don’t think there is any unit setting that you can change to prevent that. I believe it is something inherent with the coding of the operating system. I think that is an issue only Humminbird can fix and not something an end user can fix by changing any settings. I have been able to get my fixed but like I said it required a lot of time.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Thanks Wayne, I couldn’t remember the default off the top of my head. I figured that was in your memory bank. The scrubbing does still occur with the default setting but it doesn’t appear to be as much. It looks like it scrubs more on a long straight run which causes sections of your track to disappear if you zoom in far enough. It also looks like the scrubbing occurs more on larger tracks. I have figured a way to fix the issue but it requires a lot of manual manipulation for each of the tracks which can be very time consuming. I have seen the issues that LittleGazoo has mentioned. I have created some “clear running lanes” that I have imported to my unit. The unit then scrubs a lot of the track points and thereby changes the “display” of the tracks. This causes it to run right through a stump field. If I didn’t know the big stump field was there, I would probably have a new lower unit. It is NOT actually DELETING the track points because they are still there when you export the file back out of the unit and look at the track point list. The issue is how the unit is actually handling the way it “displays” the track. I don’t think there is any unit setting that you can change to prevent that. I believe it is something inherent with the coding of the operating system. I think that is an issue only Humminbird can fix and not something an end user can fix by changing any settings. I have been able to get my fixed but like I said it required a lot of time.
    The only thing about tracks that affect any I want to use is trying to merge several into one to reduce the total number of tracks in memory. When I try, some of the tracks are connected to other track ends with an additional straight line. The unit doesn't do it though.

Example when I try to merge these creek channel paths:

I get this:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    The only thing about tracks that affect any I want to use is trying to merge several into one to reduce the total number of tracks in memory. When I try, some of the tracks are connected to other track ends with an additional straight line. The unit doesn't do it though.

Example when I try to merge these creek channel paths:

I get this:

I know you use Ride Leader and I also use it to join tracks. Did you use Ride Leader to join that particular track? I have found Ride Leader works great for Solix units and it won't draw extra lines connecting the beginning of one track to the end of another. Your screenshot looks like more of an issue joining track segments vs an issue with scrubbing trackpoints. Sometimes if you reverse the direction of the tracks so they are traveling the same direction, it won't draw the straight line when join them. I have also found in Google Earth, if you "draw" a track by holding down your mouse button and "trace" a particular path, the Solix unit will not scrub as badly. If you create a track in Google Earth by just clicking trackpoints to create tracks, the Solix unit seems to do a lot more scrubbing causing issues with the "apex" trackpoints. "Drawing" the track is fine if it is a small track because the number of trackpoints won't be as many but can cause issues if you join multiple tracks that exceed the maximum number of trackpoints. I'm like you, I will join several tracks to reduce my number of tracks on the unit. I just have to make sure I don't exceed the maximum number of trackpoints for each track.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

I know you use Ride Leader and I also use it to join tracks. Did you use Ride Leader to join that particular track? I have found Ride Leader works great for Solix units and it won't draw extra lines connecting the beginning of one track to the end of another. Your screenshot looks like more of an issue joining track segments vs an issue with scrubbing trackpoints. Sometimes if you reverse the direction of the tracks so they are traveling the same direction, it won't draw the straight line when join them. I have also found in Google Earth, if you "draw" a track by holding down your mouse button and "trace" a particular path, the Solix unit will not scrub as badly. If you create a track in Google Earth by just clicking trackpoints to create tracks, the Solix unit seems to do a lot more scrubbing causing issues with the "apex" trackpoints. "Drawing" the track is fine if it is a small track because the number of trackpoints won't be as many but can cause issues if you join multiple tracks that exceed the maximum number of trackpoints. I'm like you, I will join several tracks to reduce my number of tracks on the unit. I just have to make sure I don't exceed the maximum number of trackpoints for each track.
    It's been a while since I did the merging. Probably used Ride Leader.

I used Google Earth Paths to create the tracks using the time slider to get a lower water level so the actual creeks were visible. Then I saved as KML to use Ride Leader to convert them to GPX and load to HumminbirdPC for Helix units. Just recently copied the data from HBPC to load to SOLIX units. I have both the separate tracks and the merged track in both models. I just set the merged track as Hidden on most of my units. Only loaded the merged file to a Helix unit I took the screen shot with this morning.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Are those Helix screenshots and did you use HumminbirdPC to convert to Helix MATRIX/HT files?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    Are those Helix screenshots and did you use HumminbirdPC to convert to Helix MATRIX/HT files?
    Yes, both are Helix units and the data was from HumminbirdPC copied via a Matrix folder to a memory card to load to the units.
    The blue merged lines are from a Helix 7 and the red separate tracks are from a Helix 12.

When I use the same HBPC data to load to a SOLIX/ONIX, I use the File/SAVE AS GPX to a memory card.

Post #10 has the separate tracks on a Helix and a SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    It's been a while since I did the merging. Probably used Ride Leader.

I used Google Earth Paths to create the tracks using the time slider to get a lower water level so the actual creeks were visible. Then I saved as KML to use Ride Leader to convert them to GPX and load to HumminbirdPC for Helix units. Just recently copied the data from HBPC to load to SOLIX units. I have both the separate tracks and the merged track in both models. I just set the merged track as Hidden on most of my units. Only loaded the merged file to a Helix unit I took the screen shot with this morning.
    I use the same method to draw creeks using the timeline. If I "draw" the creeks, I don't get much scrubbing from the units but will get much more scrubbing if I "click" trackppoints to create tracks in Google Earth. I can only guess that my hand isn't as steady as it used to be so there will be a lot of little "wobbles" in the tracks when I'm drawing. I assume the units are not scrubbing those points because it sees them as a "change of direction." The extra lines in your screenshot make more sense because the Core/Helix units don't handle joined tracks with track segments very well and will draw the extra lines. I have used Ride Leader and ExpertGPS to open the kml file and convert to gpx. I use Ride Leader exclusive when joining tracks and I have never had it create any of the extra lines on my Solix units. I have been told Reefmaster can join tracks that will not create all the straight lines on a Core/Helix unit. I haven't used Reefmaster in many many years. I had it on a very old computer that took a dive and never tried to get another copy on my new computers. At some point I may get it again and see if does actually join tracks without the extra lines on Helix units. I haven't so far since I don't use Core/Helix units anymore.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

15. Member
    Wayne, again, please stop HB Solix track problem gaslighting. And this is off-topic, your posting Helix screenshots on a HumminbirdPC problem.

I'll start another thread on your HumminbirdPC problem later when back home.

I use the same method to draw creeks using the timeline. If I "draw" the creeks, I don't get much scrubbing from the units but will get much more scrubbing if I "click" trackppoints to create tracks in Google Earth. I can only guess that my hand isn't as steady as it used to be so there will be a lot of little "wobbles" in the tracks when I'm drawing. I assume the units are not scrubbing those points because it sees them as a "change of direction." The extra lines in your screenshot make more sense because the Core/Helix units don't handle joined tracks with track segments very well and will draw the extra lines. I have used Ride Leader and ExpertGPS to open the kml file and convert to gpx. I use Ride Leader exclusive when joining tracks and I have never had it create any of the extra lines on my Solix units. I have been told Reefmaster can join tracks that will not create all the straight lines on a Core/Helix unit. I haven't used Reefmaster in many many years. I had it on a very old computer that took a dive and never tried to get another copy on my new computers. At some point I may get it again and see if does actually join tracks without the extra lines on Helix units. I haven't so far since I don't use Core/Helix units anymore.
    Just loaded the merged track to a SOLIX and there are just two straight lines connecting track ends:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Just loaded the merged track to a SOLIX and there are just two straight lines connecting track ends:

Was the merged track from a Helix unit that you then loaded to your Solix or did you join the original tracks with Ride Leader then load it to your Solix? I have never had that happen on a Solix unit when using Ride Leader to join tracks. I have,however, seen that with Ride Leader if you choose the "Bind all track segments" option.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Was the merged track from a Helix unit that you then loaded to your Solix or did you join the original tracks with Ride Leader then load it to your Solix? I have never had that happen on a Solix unit when using Ride Leader to join tracks. I have,however, seen that with Ride Leader if you choose the "Bind all track segments" option.
    I exported the waypoint library from the Helix unit that I put the merged tracks into today (blue lines). Loaded the exported MATRIX folder to HBPC, then created a new waypoint file and copied just that track to the new file and then SAVE AS GPX to a memory card to load to the SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    I exported the waypoint library from the Helix unit that I put the merged tracks into today (blue lines). Loaded the exported MATRIX folder to HBPC, then created a new waypoint file and copied just that track to the new file and then SAVE AS GPX to a memory card to load to the SOLIX.
    That may be the issue. Once the track is loaded to a Helix or HummPC it will change it to that programming language "format" which is slightly different than the Solix. If you take the original tracks you made in Google Earth and open it in Ride Leader then join them in Ride Leader, save as a gpx then load to your Solix, I believe that will eliminate the extra lines. I would load that one track as a separate gpx and not add it to the HummPC file. Once it is loaded to the unit, the Solix will put everything in its own programming language format. Then you can export your nav info from the unit and you should have a "clean" Solix file.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

That may be the issue. Once the track is loaded to a Helix or HummPC it will change it to that programming language "format" which is slightly different than the Solix. If you take the original tracks you made in Google Earth and open it in Ride Leader then join them in Ride Leader, save as a gpx then load to your Solix, I believe that will eliminate the extra lines. I would load that one track as a separate gpx and not add it to the HummPC file. Once it is loaded to the unit, the Solix will put everything in its own programming language format. Then you can export your nav info from the unit and you should have a "clean" Solix file.
    OK, thanks. I just re-did the tracks in Google Earth and just did three segments.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast