Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See how it does. On a side note- it's probably time to replace those T-stats, anyway.
    Ordered replacements for both sides, out of curiosity how often should they be replaced?
    Last edited by jacobk; 04-22-2021 at 09:57 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Checked/tested annually. Replaced anytime the do not function properly (or corrosion begins).

In later years, 3 years / 300 hours (whichever occurs first) became the standard.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Checked/tested annually. Replaced anytime the do not function properly (or corrosion begins).

In later years, 3 years / 300 hours (whichever occurs first) became the standard.

Thanks! Will report back once I get it on the water. Appreciate everyone’s insight so far!

4. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    New thermostats have been installed and temps are reading the same as before.

Ran the boat today and it still has a small hesitation after idling out of the no wake zone. All runs after the no wake zone had no hesitation.

In the middle of the trip the engine would start up, then stall in about 2 seconds. Immediately started it after it stalled and it would idle like normal.

I also noticed after getting off pad and entering the no wake zone, the exhaust fumes were rich enough to cause the eyes to sting. Although that went away after a minute or so.
    Last edited by jacobk; 05-13-2021 at 12:20 AM.

6. Member
    need to have sensors tested for out of range - air,map, cyl head, sounds still way to rich
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    need to have sensors tested for out of range - air,map, cyl head, sounds still way to rich
    I thought the same with the MAP, ran it this morning with a brand new MAP and had the same results.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You said temps were the same as before... how are you reading those (and where)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    You said temps were the same as before... how are you reading those (and where)?
    Read with the smart craft gauge, sorry. Going to have to buy an IR Thermometer to take block temps.
    Last edited by jacobk; 05-13-2021 at 03:18 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for clarifying that. So what temp did the Smartcraft engine temp read AT IDLE once warmed up? ("On Plane" temps are irrelevant unless it's overheating)

11. Member
    Just wanted to circle back and bring this thread to a close for those that might find themselves in a similar situation.

After testing everything I could, a few things not listed (TPS, temps, primer bulb, fuel lines, fuel pumps etc.) it turned out to be the sensor or the float in the oil reservoir on the outboard. It was out of wack just enough to make it too rich on idle, but not enough to throw a code.

I decided to replace the reservoir and sensor and haven’t had an issue since.

Big thank you to everyone who chimed in, EuropeanAM if you find yourself in Michigan lmk and I’ll buy you a beer or five!
    Last edited by jacobk; 08-15-2021 at 01:49 PM.

12. Member
    float switch in oil tank running rich hmmmmmm , how

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    float switch in oil tank running rich hmmmmmm , how
    I’m assuming there could’ve been a slight leak in the tank or the hose/check valve as well. The new unit came with replacements and the problem hasn’t persisted since changing.

14. Member
    shouldnt have had any effect on running unless it was going into guardian mode , would have had warn horn and reduced power

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Maybe the crankcase pressure check valve was involved also?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12