Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 150HP EFI Problems

2004 Mercury 150HP EFI
    Serial Number: 0T962231
    250hrs
    Strictly using Mercury 1-2-3 and Mercury premium plus.

Things I’ve tried/checked:
    120 PSI compression across the board
    Has spark in all 6 cylinders
    New Spark Plugs (NGK BPZ8HS-10)

Yesterday morning at the ramp it ran fine but I noticed noticed it putting out 11v at WOT. After running around the lake, I had a long idle through a no wake zone it wouldn’t go past 2,000 RPM and started to misfire at idle.

We have our club classic Saturday, any help would be appreciated. For now the plan is to just troll everywhere if I can’t get the Merc back up. 😢

2. Member
    ohm test fuse link /big red wire on alt and all other fuses on mtr check um,and belt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ohm test fuse link /big red wire on alt and all other fuses on mtr check um,and belt

Tested that wire and the 100 amp fuse was blown, just replaced it and will be winging it tomorrow.

4. Member
    Putting out 14v now but still running rough & not getting past 2,000 RPM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the spark plugs to make sure you didn't foul them trying to run around at low RPM's and voltage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the spark plugs to make sure you didn't foul them trying to run around at low RPM's and voltage.
    Will swap out with another fresh set and run it again sometime this week, will update post with results.

7. Member
    120484648_3549898058388496_4905548475599076652_n.jpg1.jpg

Pulled the plugs tonight and put in a brand new set. Will be running the boat tomorrow after work.

8. Member
    waaaaaaaay to rich got somethin wrong
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... I would also be checking the fuel pressure (relatively common to find it HIGH... often caused by debris under the regulator or debris on the regulator screen).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Roger that, will hold off on running it until I check the regulator out.

11. Member
    Alright, revisiting this thread as I ended up just storing the boat early last season.

Fuel pressure at idle was 39psi, VST and regulator screens were pretty clean, MAP sensor was also cleaned.

Put in a fresh set of plugs before hitting the lake, boat started fine as usual. Had to idle for about 10 minutes to get out of the no wake zone, it bogged a little bit before getting on plane.

Water temp was in the high 40's and I was seeing 145-150 F at idle and 80 F at WOT on the SmartCraft gauge.
    Last edited by jacobk; 04-20-2021 at 07:36 PM.

12. Member
    175533823_486597219446911_2823151953973263342_n.jpg
    Just pulled the plugs and left bank (2,4,6) looks to be running very rich compared to right (1,3,5).

This is after running around the lake all day then doing the same 10min idle back to the ramp.

13. Member
    By the look of the plugs the left bank appears to be running a bit cold on idle.
    Maybe check the thermostats, might find the left bank is stuck open with debris, but then 150 F on idle is around the mark for the thermostats opening. I would expect higher though when going through the no wake zone on less than 1200- 1500 rpm before the poppet starts to come into play.

Would be interesting what the plugs looked like before going through the no wake zone.

When my exhaust tuner had fallen off the left bank (2,4,6) always ran rich and fouled plugs....not sure why that bank but the right bank never had the same problem.

14. Member
    ^^^^^^^ agree need to verify temp of each side of mtr

15. Member
    Won’t be able to get on the water until next weekend, forecast is looking awful & we just got snowed on. Appreciate the insight, will report back ASAP.

16. Member
    If the boat is there with you, you can pull thermostats and inspect for debris before you go, pretty easy to check thermostats. Best way to check temp is to use a IR thermometer and measure on the block side of the thermostat housing on each side.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    If the boat is there with you, you can pull thermostats and inspect for debris before you go, pretty easy to check thermostats. Best way to check temp is to use a IR thermometer and measure on the block side of the thermostat housing on each side.
    Good idea, Yes the boat is in a heated garage. I’ll pull the left thermostat this week since the weathers not looking great.

18. Member
    Just pulled the thermostat from the left bank, a little bit of gunk but it doesn't look horrible. Going to clean it up and test functionality tonight.
    thermostat 1.jpg
    thermostat2.jpg
    thermostat3.jpg
    thermostat 4.jpg

19. Member
    Tested with some hot water, thermostat opens & shuts just fine. Cleaned up and reinstalled.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See how it does. On a side note- it's probably time to replace those T-stats, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast