Brakes locking up in reverse on trailer

2005 Stratos 201 trailer backed up fine for a year. I bled the brakes and now I can not back the boat up without trailer brakes engaging. Tow vehicle is the same 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. All plugs are the same and look to be in working order and I checked all fuses in the truck and switched out to all new ones.

Yes I know I can use a C clamp or socket to get the trailer to back up, but would rather not have to do that if possible. Thoughts???

2. Member
    More info on your setup would be helpful like who makes it, what your wire harness looks like etc. Does your trailer have a reverse lockout solenoid?

Every bass boat trailers i have had with brakes has had a reverse lockout and a 5 flat plug to run it on the harness instead of a 4 flat. If you have that setup make sure there is power to the wire that is connected to the solenoid when the truck is in reverse and the reverse lights are on. Its normally a blue wire on the trailer side. Also listen to the solenoid and make sure it is slicking when you put the truck in reverse. If you have power to the solenoid and its not clicking its most likely bad. I would just make sure there is power to it first and make sure your grounds are good too.

Do a "Search" on this above right, there are numerous threads dealing with this issue.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Backup lights control the solenoid. Make sure they are working on your trailer. Most vehicles have a separate trailer bu light fuse in the under hood fuse panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinalddad002 View Post
    2005 Stratos 201 trailer backed up fine for a year. I bled the brakes and now I can not back the boat up without trailer brakes engaging. Tow vehicle is the same 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. All plugs are the same and look to be in working order and I checked all fuses in the truck and switched out to all new ones.

Yes I know I can use a C clamp or socket to get the trailer to back up, but would rather not have to do that if possible. Thoughts???
    The problem is probably with getting power to the reverse solenoid, but that assumes your trailer has disc brakes. My 2005 pontoon trailer has drum brakes and they back up hill without locking out the hydraulic pressure. Easy to check.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    Verify voltage at the truck plug in. Assuming you have a 7 pin plug in on your truck that you are using, you'll want to test for voltage at the center pin while the truck is in reverse (do not start the truck, just turn the key on and shift into reverse and you'll get voltage). Ground is the bottom left pin on the 7 pin connection at your truck. This way you'll know if you are getting voltage back to that point and you can continue on down the line testing to find the issue rather than guessing (by, for example, replacing all of your fuses ).

Edit: P.S. good practice to first test for ground using the bottom left (ground) and top right (12 volt battery power) pins at the truck.