Planning Structure Scan - NMEA - Network Install - Need Advice

This sounds strange but I'm planning to install and network (2) decade old HDS units on a 30 year old boat a hopefully be very proud and excited at the end. This will be an over the winter project so just getting my ducks in a row.

The goal is to install a 2nd HDS Gen2 (non touch) unit at the console, network to the bow HDS Gen 2 (non-touch), install a LSS-1 SS Module, Lss-1 transducer off the jackplate, Point-1 and NMEA network, sonar power fuse box and Navionics mapping. I can see my late father's eyes rolling now if he heard what I just wrote. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out where all this technology will mount in my 17'-10" 300 series Ranger that is like an old mid-60's mint classic muscle car that you wouldn't go and drill a hole in the trunk to add a CB antenna. Naturally, I want to cluster the LSS-1 module, NMEA backbone and power block together under the driver's console and power all this devices through a new master "Sonar" switch in the console but I may have space issues as the console is small and my hot-foot is consuming some space under there too. My rod box can fit my 7' rods with no room to spare so I don't think the rod box is an option. My storage box behind the driver's seat could be used but I'm concerned about ventilation for the LSS-1 box. I'm looking for suggestions and if there are any 300 series Ranger owners that have pulled both ethernet and NMEA cables to the bow, I'd love to hear your experience.

BTW: If I had known, I would have saved a few more dollars and bought a used HDS that did not require the LSS-1 module box which in my situation is the 800 pound gorilla.

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Stop worrying about ventilation for the module and go ahead. :)

I don't have the same boat, but I did install and LSS module in my Tracker when I had it. I put it in the bow storage box which had no ventilation and it was fine. That was 10 years ago and my dad is still using it like that, granted with a different LSS box.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    It doesn't get hot, so it's a non issue. What about the wall in front of the drivers console? Starboard rod locker. Biggest issue is to make sure it's away from where there might be any water incursion.

Your Ranger is likely the same as my late half sister ran back in the late 70's through at least late 80's. She lived in Woodstock and was one of the first competitive female anglers back then. Even won a couple boats, but of course they were smaller than her 18' Ranger. Going out with her (my wife and I) was the first time I'd ever been in a boat running 60+. Can't remember if it was Lanier or Allatoona (she did put in at Little River quite a bit) but it SCARED THE LIVING SNOT out of us both!

Good luck with the new setup!
    (If only you'd waited a little bit I've got Gen3 9's, 2 TotalScan transducers and a brand new HDI transducer I'm about to get rid of.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Well, it appears from the comments the LSS module can be installed in places with little ventilation so that is a plus. I appreciate the confirmation on that. Yes, the forward wall of the driver's console would be my first choice. Still gathering pieces of the system to do a dry fit to confirm.

Dixie Chicken - I would like to talk to you about your Gen 3 units. I'll send you a PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Rig View Post
    Well, it appears from the comments the LSS module can be installed in places with little ventilation so that is a plus. I appreciate the confirmation on that. Yes, the forward wall of the driver's console would be my first choice. Still gathering pieces of the system to do a dry fit to confirm.

Dixie Chicken - I would like to talk to you about your Gen 3 units. I'll send you a PM.
    Hey good talking to ya' last night neighbor. Need anything getting it going just give me a shout.

Tony/aka Dixie Chicken (Just love that Little Feat song!)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

7. Member
    I installed a system just like you are talking about in my 1984 Cajun Ricky Green Fishin' Machine. I even added the wireless module and network expansion box. HDS Gen II 8 on the bow and 10 at console. LSS-2 box and transducer. Sirius weather satellite and point one. Worked like a charm.

8. Member
    I rigged a buddies 364 Ranger and installed his module under the console on the left side of the the front bulkhead opposite of the hot foot.