Hydraulic steering install

I am getting ready to install hydraulic steering in my zx185. Just below the cavitation plate the motor has a fin that is turned to the right to counter the steering. Will this need to be adjusted when I switch to hydraulic? I’m going from dual cable no feedback steering. Thanks

If you are speaking of the torque tab, I didn't need to touch (adjust) mine going from dual cable to hydro.

3. Member
    You can take it off, maybe gain a mile an hour or two. It's now unneccesary.

Clamp a piece of wood over the old helm hole to center the larger hole cutter.

Either that or use two hole cutters at the same time, space the smaller one down to center the big one.

4. Member
    It also serves as a sacrificial anode to prevent galvanic corrosion so I don't think I would take it off. I installed hydraulic steering on my last boat about 2 years ago and never thought about the tab or noticed a problem.

5. Member
    Same here, when I switched from cable to hydraulic I left the trim tab, steers with 1 finger

Depending on the engine, there may be an optional flat one available so you keep the corrosion control in place

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    Depending on the engine, there may be an optional flat one available so you keep the corrosion control in place
    Or just cut or grind the fin off.