2020 150 Stroke Pro XS Oil Recommendation questions

Serial Number 2B751245

About to do my initial 20 Hour service and I was able to find the part number for the oil filter of #877761K01
    My owners manual states that both Mercury 10w30 and the 25W-40 are acceptable, as well as the synthetic grade. So which grade to you guys recommend? I want to use whats best for my motor.

Also I have been using Don's preferred cocktail . Is there any harm in premixing this together in a container?

Thanks Fellas

2. Member
    I JUST did my 100hr service. everything I read said that the 10W30 was the best for our (Chattanooga) area weather. I used the synthetic as well. BUT before you spend the money, I don't think a 20hr service is required..... my 2019 150 PXS 1st service wasn't due til 100hrs per the manual and dealer

3. Member
    This question has been asks on here a few times. I think I am right when I say most of your recommendations will be the synthetic blend 10W-30. I have the same motor as you and I decided on the SB 25W-40. Why because most of my use is in hot weather and I am not worried about thin oil on a freezing morning. A little better protection I think on those near 100 degree days. Bottom line hard to go wrong with either choice unless you see very hot or very cold temperatures. Look in your manual or on the oil plate on your motor and looks close at the temperature line. Pay attention to what Don has to say on subject! I think the 20 hour service while not required is a great idea and I did it!!!

4. Member
    but it is super super easy to due and surely wont hurt it. I plan on changing my gear oil roughly every 50hrs now that I know how easy it is. PartsVu.com sells a kit that has all the oil, gear lube, oil filter, fuel filter, and gaskets you will need to do a full service for like 100 bucks or less shipped to your door.

5. Member
    Thanks Guys Hopefully Don will give his recommendation

2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vols824 View Post
    Serial Number 2B751245

About to do my initial 20 Hour service and I was able to find the part number for the oil filter of #877761K01
    My owners manual states that both Mercury 10w30 and the 25W-40 are acceptable, as well as the synthetic grade. So which grade to you guys recommend? I want to use whats best for my motor.

Also I have been using Don's preferred cocktail . Is there any harm in premixing this together in a container?

Thanks Fellas

Most important: "Synthetic grade" is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Synthetic BLEND is the recommendation. We were told to use 25w40 in the 150 and below, 10w30 in the V6/V8 (non-SeaPro models), with the exception of severally cold or hot climates.

No harm in mixing the cocktail components together.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thank you.