Really HIGH Idle

2017 175 ProXS SN:2B523810

Yesterday I went through the Hotfoot Adjustment Procedure that is in the 3.0L FAQ section. It needed it as the gap that is listed as needing to be .001-.02 was in fact .25. I did the procedure to a tee or so I thought. This is not my first rodeo.

Today, I went out on the lake and when I started the motor it rev'd up way higher than normal. So much so that I thought I would get an alarm but did not. I shut it down and made sure the shifter was in the proper position (it was), tried again with the same result. I did not get the actual RPM as my Mercmonitor was still doing the self test and I did not want to wait and risk damaging the engine. I put it back on the trailer and brought it home.

I popped the cowling and checked everything out. Two things jumped out at me, that seemed odd. 1. The throttle roller was at a mid position and up off the idle notch (see pic below). I checked to make sure the idle stop screw was still against its stop and it was. 2. If you notice the TPS is not in its idle position either. It is up quite a bit. As a trouble shooting procedure, I removed the TPS linkage arm from the TPS sensor and the motor started and idled perfectly normal.

IMG_1492.pngInkedIMG_1492_LI.jpg

As is my usual nature asking myself, "What did I screw up?" and came up with nothing. I went through the Hotfoot set up procedure again and nothing changed. I also looked in my Mercury Service Manual for guidance and did not get any help there either. So...What did I screw up???

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    disconnect cable move idle stop back so roller sits in small depression of cam with no preload roller spins, what i see
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I did as suggested and it worked fine at the lake with one hiccup. I started it while still on the trailer (motor was in the water) and it cranked and idled normally. I backed off, let it warm up then went for a run. It seemed to do fine but when I came back to pick up my son at the dock, it idled high again but much lower than yesterday. It was at 1200ish this time. I turned off the motor then cranked to see if the TPS needed to be reset. It idled 550-650 like normal again. I was thinking maybe I screwed up the TPS. It worked fine the rest of the day. I am going to be out again tomorrow to see how it does.

Thanks for the help Joe!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ron- you have a hotfoot, right?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ron- you have a hotfoot, right?
    Correct and everything worked normally yesterday without a single hiccup.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good. I would still recommend checking these:

Make sure the hotfoot is free of debris in or about the hotfoot.

Lubricate all pivots, as well as the eyelet of the cable and sliding portion (at the hotfoot- lightweight oil is best).

Verify adequate SPRING tension to consistently snap the throttle all the way back to the idle stop and firmly hold it there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor