Trim switch at bow

Currently the trim up/down switch on my bow is in a poor location. It’s also situated right beside two other switches and so I have to use my fingers to trim the motor. That’s fine in some situations but when I’m fishing and want to trim the motor up or down it would be much easier to have trim buttons that I can operate by stepping on them, kind of like the up/down buttons on power poles or talons. Has anyone ever installed something like this? If so, where did you get the switch/buttons? I’ve searched around some online but haven’t really found anything.

2. Member
    I do not know off hand where you can buy them but I know that folks have done what you are wanting for years and years.

3. Member
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/t-h...ildCatid=20052
    Mount this switch in a right/left button configuration and it should work. Also sold at other vendors.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mar...ldCatid=823304
    Another option. I have this on my present boat. Actually don't want to step on it but I do regularly. Rocker easy to knock off.

Had the first switch on a previous boat and stepping on the buttons doesn't hurt the switch.
    Last edited by RFSims; 09-23-2020 at 10:24 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Mount this switch in a right/left button configuration and it should work. Also sold at other vendors.
    This is what I installed on my front deck and I use my foot all the time to trim it up. The wire comes straight out the back so it lays flat.

5. Member
    [QUOTE=RFSims;11393767]https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/t-h...ildCatid=20052

I had found this at Cabelas but wasn’t sure if it was big enough to use with your feet. As said, mounting it right/left instead of up/down would help with that. I was hoping to find something with more space between the buttons. If I can’t then I think I’ll go with this switch. Thanks!

6. Member
    [QUOTE=coreynov902;11394048]
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post

I had found this at Cabelas but wasn’t sure if it was big enough to use with your feet. As said, mounting it right/left instead of up/down would help with that. I was hoping to find something with more space between the buttons. If I can’t then I think I’ll go with this switch. Thanks!

Another thought, but will take a little work. Go buy two old timmey dimmer switches. the kind that mounts in the floor. I know 1980 Ford trucks had them. Have a metal box fabed up to mount them in and wire up to one down to the other. 30 years ago I used the very same to turn on/off and change voltage from 12V to 24V to operate an Eagle hand controlled trolling motor. I carpeted the box and looked great.

7. Member
    On my 96 Javelin I did something similar to RFSims, but for my hydraulic plate. I built a small box out of wood, carpeted it, installed two big switches with plenty of room between them and then mounted the box on the floor in the cockpit. Worked perfectly. The only thing I would do now to build one is use plastic or starboard instead of wood. It would be an easy project for you.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    On my 96 Javelin I did something similar to RFSims, but for my hydraulic plate. I built a small box out of wood, carpeted it, installed two big switches with plenty of room between them and then mounted the box on the floor in the cockpit. Worked perfectly. The only thing I would do now to build one is use plastic or starboard instead of wood. It would be an easy project for you.
    https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...control-switch

9. Member
    I just use the butt of my rod....

10. Member
    Order from Bass Cat
    One switch for up one for down.
    Standard on my old cat.
    can
    Od935509

Quote Originally Posted by pgs View Post
    Order from Bass Cat
    Standard on my old cat.
    What pgs said. Probably have to drill a couple holes though.

12. Member
    If your planning on selling the boat in the future I wouldn’t mess with it .

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgs View Post
    Order from Bass Cat
    Standard on my old cat.
    Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

I buy most of my switches from del city, have a ton to pick from.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

15. Member
    Ordered 2 and replaced mine last year. Little rubber sw cover's wore out after 25 years. Switch still worked just torn covers.
    can
    Od935509

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I buy most of my switches from del city, have a ton to pick from.
    This! Great quality, excellent customer service.

17. Member
    I put a single “step on switch” for up only when I need to get it up quick cuz of skinny water. After that I use a rod butt to lower it back down with the factory button on the panel. Sometimes less is more.......for me anyway.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO