Thread: 1995 Champ...

1995 Champ...

Just installed an Ultrex and planning on putting a recessed tray in. When I feel up under the floor (as much as I can), it seems to only be foam in there. Anyone ever done such? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    If you are unable to be for sure exactly what you have under there and still want to proceed then it would be necessary to make the tray cutout 1/2" or 3/4" deep with the proper cutting tool. Remove the floor section only and the continue to probe very carefully to deal with whatever you encounter. What model is your boat ? Do you have any panels up there you can remove ( bow mount depthfinder, light switch accessory panel ) that would allow you to put your hand or a mirror in there to get a better look ? I think on some models there may be a cabinet right in the middle of the front deck and at the front of that cabinet sometimes there is a plastic or fiberglass access plug you can remove to have some access under the deck. You may also be able to get some access from the front of the rod lockers.

Tell us what model your boat is and someone will be better able to assist you. Welcome to the Champ family and forum. Lots of good info and folks here.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    My 1995 181DC only had foam under the deck when I installed my recessed tray. No issues.

I remember reading that some models had a tube for wires in that area.

4. Member
    My 1996 181 had wires running through a tube that went to the light for the center compartment. I just cut the tube out and extended the wires around the recessed tray.

5. Member
    I agree with getfished......cut floor only & carefully cut/remove foam with something like a drywall handsaw