Best lithium starting battery

I am considering the switch to lithium batteries on my Phx 920. Are all lithium batteries the same? Are some build better than others? Who makes the best? I am presently considering Battle Born merely because they have an 8 year free replacement warranty.

2. Member
    Battle Born Batteries offers a 10-year manufacturers defect warranty from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover negligence or misuse of the battery. If it is deemed that battery was used improperly, you will be subject to a $150 an hour repair charge plus parts and shipping. The page is dated 2020. The 10 years sounds great but I would get clarification. Bob
    https://battlebornbatteries.com/terms-conditions/
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

They all aren’t the same. Battleborn probably makes the best battery.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    Make sure you have a way to monitor your state of charge. Your regular voltmeter on the boat won't work. I like the Ionic batteries because they have a built in bluetooth app that lets you check.

5. Member
    The Ionic 125Ah from Drewtech has over charge electronic protection built in so today’s new motors with 85 plus amps of charging capacity don’t fry it or the motor’s alternator. Mine works perfectly with my new Mercury 250 4-stroke. In addition, the blue tooth ap lets me monitor each batteries state of charge and discharge from my phone.

Another vote here for the ionic 125. It’s one beast of a battery.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

7. Member
    Relion 100HP

The HP is specifically designed for starting and running an outboard.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Relion 100HP

The HP is specifically designed for starting and running an outboard.
    Yup totally agree. RELiON makes a great battery
    Risen From The Ashes!!

9. Finally over 80
    my vote is the ICONIC 125ah

10. Member
    I am also pleased with my Ionic 125ah for my Merc Pro XS 225hp.

11. Member
    Anyone used the Ionic in cold weather yet? I mean, like 20s/30s? Did your motor start on the first try?
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZ-ZOU View Post
    Anyone used the Ionic in cold weather yet? I mean, like 20s/30s? Did your motor start on the first try?
    My 125 Ionic struggles in cold weather on the first start of the day, but only on the first start. It may or may not need a jump, in the 40s. When I get up and the temp is 20*s , I'm not going fishing, I go back to bed.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZ-ZOU View Post
    I had no problems last winter with mine with air and water temps in the low 30's. My boat is stored inside so my battery may still be warmer then a boat stored outside would be when I get to the ramp. Another trick I heard was to turn on your graphs and lights when you are unhooking before launching. The draw on the battery cause it to warm up internally a bit.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

14. Banned
    Mercury engine 250 ProXs, I use Relion 100HP. Never look back

15. Member

Lithium Battery safe for Mercury Optimax on a Champion 210 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Mercury engine 250 ProXs, I use Relion 100HP. Never look back

I have been told by my boat mechanic that Mercury stated that the warranty is voided if I use a Lithium battery for starting a ProXS. With so many electronic devices on my bass boat (5 graphs, talons, radio, go pro, lights) my lead acid battery is not meeting the demands. I have a 2017 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS. I thought about using a lithium for electronics and a lead acid for starting. I believe I can just run electronics all day on the lithium and just recharge the Lithium when I get home. Space is tight in the back as I have a 36 volt trolling battery set up. This will make 5 batteries in the back. When my 36 volt system needs upgraded I will get just one big litihum and have to get a new battery bank charger. Thoughts?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RALEIGHCHAMPION210 View Post
    I have been told by my boat mechanic that Mercury stated that the warranty is voided if I use a Lithium battery for starting a ProXS. With so many electronic devices on my bass boat (5 graphs, talons, radio, go pro, lights) my lead acid battery is not meeting the demands. I have a 2017 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS. I thought about using a lithium for electronics and a lead acid for starting. I believe I can just run electronics all day on the lithium and just recharge the Lithium when I get home. Space is tight in the back as I have a 36 volt trolling battery set up. This will make 5 batteries in the back. When my 36 volt system needs upgraded I will get just one big litihum and have to get a new battery bank charger. Thoughts?
    You've been told wrong.

Nothing can VOID your warranty. Mercury can deny a specific claim if they believe use of the lithium battery caused the issue. That said, most 2 stokes are nearing the end of their warranty terms.

Not all LiFePo4 batteries are the same. There are different types of cells, quality level of cells, Battery Management Systems (BMS) and temperature sensors. Specifically you need a BMS that can handle starting loads and a low temperature sensor to prevent charging at too low of a temperature which can damage the expensive battery. I have used Impulse and Relion and both are good and would recommend them. Battleborn and Ionic are good as well. I am suspect of other brands, especially the cheap ones from Amazon and other retailers.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s