2004 optimax 225 high idle

Made a long run back to the ramp last week. Once I made it to the ramp “luckily” the motor died serpentine belt appeared to have busted from dry rot. Air compressor tested fine.

Installed the new belt today. Motor starts on demand but instantly revs to 3000+ rpms. Any ideas as to what can be causing this? I have changed the belt before on a friends opti and didn’t have this issue. Thanks

2004 optimax 225 dfi
    serial # OT 961388

note: I have checked throttle cable nothing appears stuck.
    this is on muffs not in the lake.

thanks for the help.

2. Member
    possible torn diaphram in rail check for fuel in air side of system at shrader valve
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Forgot to mention I checked the rails already

4. Member
    Tracker valve diaphragm.
    Throttle returning to the idle stop.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Tracker valve diaphragm.
    Throttle returning to the idle stop.
    yes it is returning to idle.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you sure it's not just raw fuel remaining in the system from the lack of air pressure (when belt failed)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    +1 ^^^^^ fire it a couple times see if it settles out bet it smokes when you fire it dont it and runs real rough
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Yep raw fuel left in system. Got it to the lake idled high for a bit died. Started right back up and never had an issue. Thanks guys

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A couple of us have been there, done that. Soon becomes second nature to just be ready to shut it right down after certain "scenarios" that can cause it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor