Ned rig in fall?

Anyone do good with the Ned rig in the fall or is it too small for this time of year?

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I fish the Ned Rig year round, but here in Alabama it doesn’t get as cold as what you get. The water might get in the low 40’s for a short time but it usually hovers close to 50 if that part of the water is around some rocks.
    I will fish it a little slower during the winter but it still catches fish for me.

3. Member
    I fish it right up until Ice prevents people from getting on the water. The later in the fall It gets, the more the fish focus on crayfish. A ned rig is a good crayfish imitation
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I’ve never found a time of year the Ned rig doesn’t get bit. Always have one tied on.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

We had a tournament last week on a really tough lake. The Ned rig bailed us out.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I’ve never found a time of year the Ned rig doesn’t get bit. Always have one tied on.
    This. I’ve caught fish on a ned from 37-85 degree water

7. Member
    Try the white lightning or smelt on a red jig head around balls of shad, it's a good time.

I've even caught fish through the ice on a Ned rig, believe it or not. It mostly turns into a pike bait that time of year, but I have caught bass on it up in the weeds as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Dogfish_Jones
    Back in March, I wore the bass out on Ned Rigs at Guntersville fishing them across and into the grass.

Just saw a pic of a guy holding a nice smallmouth caught today (Table Rock) on a ned rig. Personally, there are other baits I like to fish when the water is warm, once it gets cold I am all over the Ned rig. In about 2 more months I'll be fishing it.

11. Member
    I keep catching pike on them, smallies and largemouth too but way too many damn pike
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

12. Banned
    I love the ned rig in the fall! Especially when the water temps dip into the mid 40s or lower and the air temp is in the 30s. It'll get bit when nothing else will

13. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    We had a tournament last week on a really tough lake. The Ned rig bailed us out.
    I thought all lakes in Ohio were pretty tough? I was thinking of moving to Marysville about 3 years ago and those lakes around that area were shallow and from reading about the fishing, a 5 lb bag would be a heavy load.
    I decided to stay here in Alabama and fish the Coosa River and Guntersville.