Roanoke Rapids Lake

Heading to Roanoke Rapids Lake for the first time this weekend. Have heard the lake can be dangerous if you don't know where you're going. Also what to look for as far as fishing, is there grass? Looks like a few boat docks on google earth. Just hoping to get on a few this weekend. Thanks for any help.

2. Banned
    You can type "roanoke rapids lake" in the search bar on this forum and a post will appear that was started on 5/28/20. Another first timer was asking the same thing. This should help you. Just tap "search forum" right under the page numbers and type it n.

3. Member
    I am thinking I was the other first timer. Yes it is very hard to navigate without knowing it. But it is a small lake so I idled most of the day. Fishing was good. Lots of grass.we caught most of the fish on a chatterbait and spinnerbait. I want to go back for sure. Just idle around and you will be fine and will easily fi d the channel to run.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    Heading out there tomorrow. Heard the waters about 3’ low. We’ll see how it goes. Thanks!

water level can change in 30 mins time ...
    from normal pool to 3' low...its a flood control resvr...with damns on each end
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Banned
    yeh and watch the choke points,,, Upstream damn blows a horn when they open, some serious current can wip in a couple of the cut throughs. Damn schedules are online and pretty accurate.
    Very funny "lake"... One day its a river, next day its a lake. Also fish act alot like tidal fish and feed on the tides.

3 good ramps, one is occasionally useable on the NW side. Thelma is usually useable unless its pretty low, on the SW side, then the one in town near the dam is always good. lake is cool and clear as it is fed from the bottom of lake gaston,,, some great eating chain pickerel. Gonna hammer it this winter, my PB is 4lbs 6 oz,,, State record is 8,, Might be in there. Need to find some kid to catch me a couple dozen 6" suckers somewhere.
    No Idea if that will work or not, but its the traditional Northern pike bait up north.
    Oh FYI I am a pickerell guy,, bass guys hate them as they destroy lures, perch jerkers hate them cause they dont know how to clean them,, win win for me, as both groups share info with me when they catch them... Long as I can out run NC lake killing grass sprayers.
    Last edited by Dropdeadfred; 09-28-2020 at 12:28 PM.