Thread: Floor drain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I removed the seat base in my 2004 Stratos when I replaced the carpet. The metal seat base has two cutouts along the bottom where it meets the floor. On mine the seat base is carpeted along with the floor so it is difficult to see the drainage openings. It definitely does not drain as fast as an open floor drain but I would not cut a hole in that floor to drain the water. You do not know what you might cut into.

seatbase-carpet.jpg

2. Member
    Yesterday I buffed the carpet and with a couple inches of water in the floor area can confirm that the only 2 drains are on the sides, none under the seats. They drain slowly and it is a poor design IMHO but after this post, I’m not comfortable punching a floor drain. Thank you to everyone who replied, it probably reigned in my instincts to break out the power tools.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Williep99 View Post
    Yesterday I buffed the carpet and with a couple inches of water in the floor area can confirm that the only 2 drains are on the sides, none under the seats. They drain slowly and it is a poor design IMHO but after this post, I’m not comfortable punching a floor drain. Thank you to everyone who replied, it probably reigned in my instincts to break out the power tools.
    I have a 200XL and I just pulled out the floor carpet and the entire metal bench the seats sit on sit tight onto the floor. What I’m gonna do is cut cutouts in the aluminum so that it give a spot to allow water to drain in the hull. I will say that while my floor is dry, the carpet behind the aluminum is soaking wet. I was shocked honestly…..we’ll see how this seadek upgrade goes!
    2006 Stratos 200 Pro XL

Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    If you do cut through the floor, make sure that you seal raw edge of whatever floor is made of. I used several coats of resin when I did this on an Ebbtide several yrs. ago.
    Sealing is important or you'll be running into that soft floor problem soon.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

5. mikesxpress
    It's a matter of fluid dynamics and safety with regards to floor drains. Anyone that has speared a swell or took a barge wake that fills the boat cockpit area will agree you "can't get that water out fast enough." *Lake Erie and other big water guys already know this.

50 gallons of water would weigh approximately 417.2702 pounds and for most bass style boats that's going to reduce your freeboard by over half resulting in even more water coming in with additional swells. If that water can't get to both the manual & automatic bilge pumps rapidly, your in a no win situation.

A 4" perforated/slotted floor drain isn't even adequate as 50% of it is blocked. Two properly plumbed 1000 GPH bilge pumps will starve due to lack of incoming water. Some hulls have a 3rd seat pedestal hole (20'+ Rangers) in the cockpit floor in addition to a 6" drain. That open hole can drain as much water into the bilge as the 6". With both of those drains it can adequately feed the pumps. Some choose to install the pedestal hole plugs that are now being sold and unknowingly reducing there drain to bilge capacity by half. They thought it was a good idea??

If you can install the largest floor drain possible without damaging the structural integrity of your floor, it's a good idea. Encapsulation/reinforcement of drain hole cut area to prevent water intrusion on multi-layered floors is also doable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Why would an OEM design a boat without a floor drain? If you spear one and it has no way for the water to get to the bilge pumps your in trouble.
    some boats are open behind both side panels straight to the bilge area

7. mikesxpress
    Then that would equate to a drain. Depending on the size it might be better than a floor drain?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12