Thread: New floor drain

New floor drain

2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL. It doesn’t have a floor drain and the water sits on the carpet until it soaks through. I see most boats have a 4” plastic drain in the floor an was wondering about installing one in my boat. I would be worried about creating a soft spot in the floor if I drill it out or hitting something underneath. Anyone have thoughts about doing this?

Thanks, Bill
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

2. Member
    The water drains under the seat pan. I would not cut a hole in the floor.

3. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    As Jumping Jimmy said, look at the base of the seat pan. There should be two small half-moon cutouts. Mine used to get fishing line and other small crap stuck in there, clogging the holes. The carpet of the pan and floor might make them difficult to see.

4. Member
    No half moons and the carpet is original. Poked around with a pick and there is a slight gap on the sides and ‘maybe’ a gap under the seats. If the gap under the seats was a drain it would be a 1/16th of an inch gap. The gap on the sides is somewhat bigger but up of the floor about a 1/2”. I think the floor gap is just the space between the panel and the floor.
    Last edited by Williep99; 09-24-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

5. Member
    If you cut the drain hole make sure to seal the opening with epoxy and also the pre drilled screw holes. I would not do it unless you can cut the thickness of the drain cover. If not you can make a trip hazard being that it is not flush with the deck.