spinnerbait question

im gonna try my luck at making some spinnerbaits ,for those of you that do make them,do you bend the wire first or do you bend it after?,thanks

Neither. I buy the pre-bent stainless steel ones in .040 from Barlow's Tackle (50 for $4.22) - https://barlowstackle.com/Spinner-Ba...Open-Eye-P903/

If I need to adjust the lenght, I just cut and rebend the hook that attaches to the hook. Once I know the exact length I need, I mark the wire and use it as a template for the rest so all are the same, and then save it for future builds.

^^^ That’s the best way to start. Get the hang of it and later you can look into benders. I bought a bunch of pre-bent wires and didn’t need to get any more.

Buy pre-bent forms. I bend my own (saves a bunch of money if you are doing 1,000s of baits) but the machinery isn't cheap. Small wire can be managed with an inexpensive wire bender, but I bend .035 and .040 and those retail benders won't handle that.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    Neither. I buy the pre-bent stainless steel ones in .040 from Barlow's Tackle (50 for $4.22) - https://barlowstackle.com/Spinner-Ba...Open-Eye-P903/

If I need to adjust the lenght, I just cut and rebend the hook that attaches to the hook. Once I know the exact length I need, I mark the wire and use it as a template for the rest so all are the same, and then save it for future builds.
    Same thing here, pre-bent work for me and the main ones I am modifying are twisted wire.

Allen