Best Shimano rod for top water

I currently use an Expride 6'10 M for top waters and jerk baits. Works great, but I am considering a longer rod for top waters (7.2-7.3). Mainly throw 1/2-5-8 with occasional 3/4. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I use the 7'2 MH Composite Expride for throwing Spooks and Whopper Ploppers and I think it does a great job. I also have the 7'2" MH Expride (non-composite) but haven't tried topwaters on it yet. Depending on if you want a little slower action or not, one of those two rods would work for sure. I like the composite one because on those bigger baits with treble hooks I feel like that extra give in the rod helps keep the fish pinned. I use straight braid and feel that the composite rod does a good job with walking a bait too. Another rod you could try would be the ALX Toadface (7'2", MH+). It's got a softer tip for walking baits but has a lot of backbone for setting the hook. I prefer the Exprides but the Toadface is a great rod as well.

3. Member
    What are your reasons for wanting a longer rod than 6'10 for top water ?

7’2 mh expride and newly added 7’2mh shimano intenza. Something about the intenza I like over the expride. I can’t explain it but it just feels better

5. Member
    The reason for a longer rod would be for longer casting (especially to schooling fish).

I know you said Shimano but you should really take a look at the Daiwa Tatula 7 ft 4 composite rod. It is amazing for the price. I have thrown topwater, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and traps on it and it does them all very well. And this is coming from a die hard Shimano fan.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=13399

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    The reason for a longer rod would be for longer casting (especially to schooling fish).
    That's a good reason but the danger is reaching out to far, having problems with the hookset and loosing fish. I like to use mono for top water so I prefer to get a bit closer. I ls fell that I get better walking action with a rod a bit shorter than 7 feet.

8. Member
    I use braid to leader, so hook ups on last casts are not an issue.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    I use braid to leader, so hook ups on last casts are not an issue.
    I used my 7.2 medium heavy Expride to test. I can cast a top water a mile. A little harder to walk than the6’10 M. Maybe a little too stiff...

10. Member
    I use the 72 Medium zodias for my topwater. I was using my 610 Expride but liked the little longer rod. My Expride is still the best jerkbait rod I’ve ever used tho.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS