Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 196 champion set up help

I have a 2002 champion 196 with a 2012 mercury 200 pro xs I am having problems getting on plane when I have a full tank of fuel and tournament load with water in the live well. If I don’t have water in the live well it isn’t bad but as soon as I put water in my partner will have to move up to the front deck to get on plane. It has a 4 blade power tech prop I think a 23p but not sure the numbers are a little worn down. It has a manual jack plate

Does the prop have any vents or vent plugs in it? If so, sounds like they need opened up a bit.

3. Member
    No it doesn’t have any vent holes. I have a 3 blade tempest 25p on my other boat and I haven’t tried it I don’t know if it would help or not

4. Member
    25P Tempest will be better. If it is over revving on take-off put all solid pvs plugs in it. Open them up a little by drilling them out or swapping for ones with holes to gain rpms. My 191 with Tempest 25P worked by Croxton and a Johnson 200 ran 69.9 once in cold weather. It would regularly do 68 by myself.

5. Member
    Whats your prop to pad measurement? A 23 should rocket you out of the hole. What is your top speed and rpm?

6. Member
    I am not sure how to measure the prop to pad. Getting out of the hole this weekend my gauge said 4200 rpm my top speed is 58-59

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timr View Post
    I am not sure how to measure the prop to pad. Getting out of the hole this weekend my gauge said 4200 rpm my top speed is 58-59
    Pinned up top is a post which shows exactly how to measure prop to pad.

8. Member
    If your tach is correct you need to get your engine checked out, you should be spinning that 23 close to 6000 rpms.

9. Member
    The pinned up that shows how to measure says it’s temporarily not working I will check back and see if it will work thanks

10. Pat Goff
    Phoey on measuring, what's the boat telling you?
    1st, power tech makes some great props, but their four blade is NOT the best choice for what you're running. The tempest IS the right wheel.
    Go run the tempest, and then let's see what it does.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Will do appreciate all the help

12. Member
    I measured the prop to pad and I am right at 3”

13. Banned
    If you measured correctly, that’s pretty high. Do you have a water pressure gauge? If yes, what does it read at wide open throttle?

14. Member
    The 25 Tempest might be a little too tall for that . The 23 ought to set it right on the top immediately. You may have your motor a bit too high.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    The water pressure gauge wide open reads between 12 and 15

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timr View Post
    The pinned up that shows how to measure says it’s temporarily not working I will check back and see if it will work thanks
    Remind me on Tuesday and I will repost the picture of the measurement steps. I am not home now and laptop with picture is at home.

17. Member
    I’ve got a 03 with a 06 Opti spinning a 24p tempest and have the same issue with two people, livewells full, and over 3/4 tank of gas. I don’t have a fix but you won’t see any better with the 24p croxton worked at 3” P2P

18. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    When I had my 2003 196 with an evinrude 200HO I was running a 24 pitch tempest 3.5 inches below pad. Ran 63ish with 2 people, 52 gallons of fuel and all our gear. Just me in the boat and 1/2 tank of fuel or so with my gear it was 65 consistently. Cooler winter temps it would touch 67. Not speed demons by any means but you always have the TM down running more than the big motor anyways. Good solid fishing boat for sure!

19. Pat Goff
    Hole shot is all about tuning the prop vents. If it’s lugging you open vents until it blows out then back to last setting. If it’s cavitating take vents away until it stops.

Get your top end done first then adjust vents for holeshot
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

20. Member
    So I finally had a chance to get on the water I ran the 25p tempest plus and the prop to pad is about 3 1/4” the hole shot was great I ran about 61 mph and was getting 5400 rpms. Should I be getting more rpm or is that about right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast