Thread: 2007 225 Pro XS

2007 225 Pro XS

I was running down the lake and when I hit my tilt/trim switch it seemed like the motor was jerking. After a few miles the engine seemed to lose power(like electrical power not compression). I could get the motor to start and idle but if I hit my tilt/trim switch it killed the engine? I replaced the battery today and it still does it. Anybody ever had this issue? I have a video but can’t upload it.

2007 225 Pro XS
    Serial #1B521263

13.41 volts at battery sitting cold
    14.42 volts at battery after running over 5 minutes.

2. Member
    sounds like your trim mtr has extreme elect draw when activated
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can check the amperage running to the trim motor with an amp-clamp and have a general idea of what it's drawing. Keep in mind that a voltage supply problems may "skew"
    these readings.

Double check your battery terminal connections. ENGINE cables first, remaining lugs largest to smallest, finish off with a stainless locknut (do NOT use wing nuts).

Also check ENGINE end of cables for secure/tight connections.

CLEAN the grounds on the solenoid plate, and remove the three (3) screws that secure it to the block. CLEAN those bolts and the surfaces of the plate to ensure a good ground for the plate.

If problem persists... it's likely the trim motor (as Joe suggested).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I also run a redundant ground from the trim solenoid ground wires on the coil plate, to a bare ground on the block.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. I will try these suggestions this weekend.